The Gladiator Mine was first worked sometime in the 1870's. The mine was then inactive for several years until two men, Blauvelt and Watts secured a bond to work the Gladiator in 1892. They refurbished the workings and drove crosscuts to expose reportedly $350,000 to $400,000 worth of gold ore. The following year the mine was sold to investors in Colorado for $50,000 who immediately erected a ten-stamp mill. With a workforce of 36 men, the company under the direction of Achille Falco operated the mine successfully until 1897. In 1898, a big strike was discovered on the 700-foot level consisting of a five foot wide mass of free milling ore. The ore assayed $40 per ton.
The mine was most active from the 1890's until the early 1900's. By 1916, the Gladiator Mine had produced a record $200,000 of gold bullion and concentrates. The lower tunnel at this time was 2,000 long and cut through several small shoots of gold ore. By 1922, the lower tunnel was extended to 4,165 feet, to reach the five foot wide mass of ore. In 1939, E.M. Moore and Sons leased the Gladiator Mine and produced 4,500 tons of ore for the next 10 years. In 1945, the company purchased the Golden Belt Mill and had its ore shipped there by truck.