The Golden Turkey Mine was discovered in 1900 by Theising. It was named for the abundance of wild turkeys within the state. The mine worked a tabular deposit containing gold, silver, lead, zinc, and copper which ranged in thickness from a few inches to greater than a foot in width. A shaft, 100 feet deep was sunk but it was not until 1933 that the mine became an active producer, running 4,000 tons of ore through the nearby mill used by the Golden Belt Mine. By 1934, the mine included a 500 foot inclined shaft with workings covering about 2,000 feet.
At the northern portion of the tract, tunnels were driven northward into the mountain and ore removed from them. The mine here was developed on a much smaller scale. The mine was known to have been a producer from 1923 to 1949.