Mine Research Office

Scott Mine

The Scott Mine was named after Thomas A. Scott, a director of the Sterling Iron and Railway Company. The mine began operations shortly after the end of the Civil War. In a single year in 1880, 5,783 tons of magnetite ore were removed. The mine was originally worked through an inclined shaft sunk along the dip. At the surface the incline was gradual but after only a short distance, plunged 85 degrees.

After the Ramapo Ore Company took over operations in 1918, a new vertical shaft was sunk to a depth of 600 feet, approximately 400 feet north of the aforementioned entrance. A concrete headframe was erected above the shaft and it connected with the 180 foot and 345 foot levels.

1 2

Scott Mine
Field Research
Home Mine Forum Mine Tours Mining School About Us Contact Us