Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ohio Vintage Coal Plymouth Locomotive TLF in restor process
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:18 pm 

Well this is another project in the works.

Here is a link when we picked the unit up:
http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... php?t=1765

Restoration photo link:
http://www.ironminers.com/mineforum/vie ... hp?t=19627

Currently we have the Plymouth Locomotive completely disassembled.

Restoration update:
:arrow: In our shop we are fabricating a complete NEW cab
:arrow: We have the axle ready to go in our lathe, all wheels need to be reprofiled due to grooves in the tread of the wheels.
:arrow: The motor is a Ford model A, the engine was locked up we got it free :D The engine will be disassembled & placed on our vertical boring machine to retrofit the engine with hardened valve seats to allow us to us unleaded fuel.
:arrow: The brake rigging has been repaired
:arrow: The frame is ready to be sand blasted

This one we are taking our time on should be REAL NICE when it is finished. The cab will be very unique when completed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:02 pm 

Hello,

The other day I actually found photos of this little locomotive on a "critter" forum. I have decided to build a replica of it to run on 7.5 inch gauge track. I was wondering if the dimensions and gauge is available?

By the way, I'm glad that there's still guys like you around to revamp these cool little machines! thanks!

Matt in Az

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:48 pm 

See you're new here. I'm a 7 1/2 " gauge guy myself. Don't run at any clubs, too far away. But I have my own line. Are you in the Phx club? That place looks intense. Have fun with the Plymouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 pm 

Hey John, I'm not part of the club. I was over there for a few years as a kid. The "politics" became unappealing to me and I hit the road. I just visited a few weeks back and was amazed to see about 8-9 miles of main line twisting and turning throughout the desert landscaping. We have also got a few private rr's on the outskirts of the valley here along with a much smaller club in Scottsdale.

I actually just found the plans of a loco similar to this one off the critters forum on yahoo except the frame layout was different. I'll prob just use those plans for a general idea and still try to build just like this.

Where are you out of? What sorts of equipment do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm 

Sorry I can't post up a link to the webshots. I'm at work and they have all that V-chipped. But if you scroll down this page a ways you will come across "7 1/2" Gauge Hudson Coal Co. Gondola" or something like that. That link will hopefully take you to a few pics of my train.

I scratch-built the gons, the reefer is the very first one sold from Plum Cove Studios (I named the car Phridge in talks with the guys and they sold it to me at cost) and the Phlatt is one of their's too. The caboose is a Mountain Car. Might as well have scratch built that one, too.

Loco, that's an RMI 35 tonner. You simply cannot kill an RMI locomotive. I've run 6 adults and 4 kids on my 2% grade and the thing didn't even notice it had passengers. I have my own 611' main line. Plenty of room on my land to expand, but no time. If I do anything, I'd like to get into a 2' gauge next.

Post up pics of your project, lots of folks here would love to see them.