Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:33 am 

rail haulage miners wrote:
One we can digitize an original in using a ruby tipped probe then machining it out of a ren board type of material. Using this method we can comp out the shrinkage factor.

So, if I gave you a .dxf file of a builders plate, you could machine the pattern?

Any idea on what the cost of a 6"x 12' plate would be from file to finish? The original is cast steel but brass would work,

I have an early Alco Diesel loco. plate I've been thinking about for years and really need to get it back to the Museum. The plan was to make a copy for the loco and store the original, so it wouldn't disappear.

Last edited by Doug on Mon May 25, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:46 am 

To machine a pattern for a single cast not worth it at all. We have casted Lima & Baldwin steam plates plus a few others. For your purpose we can use the original & cast a few off that. It is very close. We need to do a run on some Vulcan plates in the near future.

The dxf file we would have to put in our system to determine the run time of the program plus the cost of pattern material. I would suggest if you want to do a large run take the machined pattern & cast an aluminum one first then use that as your pattern which lasts a lot longer.

Send me a PM and let us know.

Chris,

You are exactly right. Their motor was converted. It also reduces the wear on the wheels elimatinating tread type brake shoes.