Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 209 lantern
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:08 pm 

I bought what I believe is a 209 coal miners safety lantern. I was needing someone to tell me how to remove the top.

Post subject: Re: 209 lantern
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:04 am 

along the rim near the glass, youll see tow little steel bumps (buttons), what youll need is a small horse shoe magnet- put that horse shoe magnet on those two bumps.....inside there is a little cantilever lock on a sping and the magnet disables it, if it isnt rusted in place........ sometime if its stuck and you have the magnet on it, tap it a little, or twist the bottom back and forth a few time.....this should work for you, you can get the lieel horse shoe magnet at lowes or home depot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:31 pm 

Thanks for the information on removing the top. As soon as I put the magnet on it seperated with no problem. I would also like to know what is the correct oil to use,and what was thepurpose of the lantern? Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:36 pm 

The best fuel that I found to work in a 209 is Coleman Lantern Fuel (white gas). The reason for the lamps was to detect two common gases found in coal mines, firedamp and blackdamp. Firedamp is basically methane gas which is basically like propane. In the presence of firedamp the flame of your 209 would elongate. Miners were taught to watch the height of their flame especially when they entered the working chamber for the first time of their shift and after they dislodged the coal from the working face. Methane being less dense than air would rise to the highest part of the room where they were working. The 209's, 201's, Wolfs, Davey's, and other safety lamps have the wire gauze filters in the bonnet that don't allow the flame to get through when in the presence of methane gas. Blackdamp is basically air that lacks sufficient oxygen or gas that has high levels of carbon dioxide in it. These gases tend to be found at floor level or in the lowest areas of the working chamber. Miners would hold their safety lamps at thrie sides or place them on the ground and also watch the size of the flame. This time they would look to see if the flame deceased in size. The safety lamps will go out if the level of oxygen goes below 16%. Normal air contains 20.6% oxygen. I hope this helps. I know some of the other guys may have some more info for you. Try the following link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGipSCHXMbE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:57 am 

"lock and sping" sorry eric but that made me chuckle :lol: