Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE equipment?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 pm 

Hi All!

My first post here, but I have been watching and reading for a while... love some of the pictures many of you have posted of your adventures. I am a history buff (but, middle school science teacher), so hearing, seeing, reading about your adventures offers me a good dose of vicarious fun.

I am also the volunteer president of the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society which operates a railroad museum in the town of North East (two words), Pennsylvania. North East is in northwestern PA on the south shore of Lake Erie; we are about ten miles from the General Electric locomotive plant in Erie, PA where all the GE mining equipment was built(my own father worked for years on the lines that produced the motorized wheel for the large dump trucks).

At Lake Shore, our mission focus in large part is GE locomotive technology. We have several GE locomotives, ranging from a 23ton Box cab loco from 1939 up to an electric 275ton "little joe" locomotive. What we are missing is some kind of representation, both in artifacts and in people/history/stories about the mining side of GE's Erie operation & production. We would like to figure out how to fix that. Our webpage address is http://lakeshorerailway.com and our facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/lakeshorerailwaymuseum in case you want to check things out and see some pictures of our stuff.

Does anyone know of any GE mine locomotives that might be available for display at Lake Shore? "close" would be better than the alternative; the more intact the better...people (the public) don't have very good imaginations, or rather maybe they have imaginations that are toooo good, and you would not believe what they think about some of our holdings! ----that's where the stories we collect do their best work.

I have poked around the places that come to mind to me about finding a GE mine locomotive, but to no avail. My contacts at GE can not share w/ me any client info that might be up to date, and there are no mine works close by for me to bug... I mean ask. I have contacted Brookville locomotive works to see if they had any leads, but no one there really wanted to help me.

If anyone has any ideas, please send me an e-mail!

Thank you!!

[rayg]

Ray Grabowski, Jr.
chevy2003@live.com

Post subject: Re: GE equipment?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:12 pm 
Ray, Welcome to the site! Is the "Little Joe" a Milwaukee unit, or another road? I wish you luck on the search, and I hope it becomes fruitful. I might have to visit the museum some day, if I ever make it out there.

Post subject: Re: GE equipment?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 pm 

Ray,

Welcome to the discussion.