Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: UGM mine motor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:43 pm 

well last night banksy and i put in 4 hours or so on our beast. hit our first snag. changed the oil in the gearboxes and every stupid seal in them leaks. 3 gallons of gear oil in the one box and got one back out. thats not too good! gonna have to do some rippin and tearin and see what its got for seals. might just be rope or felt seals, that would be good. banksy got the bumpers cut out and ready for install, gotta pick up bolts this week. oh yea, this might have been a bad idea but i checked banksy out in use of the cutting torch.......Image also got the brake assembly off. not we paint that and put new cotterpins in everything. some had bent over nails. nice. gotta get a hold of the pittsburg boys for our new controller. ok see ya

chris

Last edited by Chris on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:47 pm 

yes! The 'ol bitch is getting closer to completion. i mean .... the beautiful mojo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:39 pm 

had a pretty kick ass work session today. banks ugm mike , bob and i were there. got all the wood cut and drilled for the bumpers, painted and installed them. also got on side of the brakes cleaned up, greased painted and reinstalled. greased all the grease fittings. all took grease well. got one of the axle seals off and found its just a hemp rope seal so thats great! only 4 bolts to get it off and they fall right out. man did they make things simple in those days. anyways, we are doing a bit more work tomorow. ill try to get some pics up maybe monday. see ya

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:40 am 

yes yes... chris and i had twin fingers tonight from the work.... both wacked ourselves and ripped our fingers up a bit... iiiiiitttt's alllllllll good. Sacrafices must be made for the mojo!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:02 pm 

put up some pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

So were you able to fix all of the leaking seals? The mine motors looks sweet though! You still get the nasty clicking when you drive the mine motor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:19 pm 

yea still get the clicking, thats the worn out u-joints. got the the packing for the axle seals on the gearboxes came in today...... thanks work! so we will work on that this weekend, but i know it will work looking at the packing, good stuff. id like to replace the u - joints but not sure if we can get that size. ill have to look into that, they are real easy to get to and replace if we can get em. talked to the ohio boys who are getting us the real controller, so we can get rid of that huge hoist controller. the real one is like a third the size of that. just look at the pics on the ugm site before we cut it out. they are coming out sometime in april. cool stuff.

later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, I wonder if the Ohio guys know where to get U Joints for it.. Would be nice.. That might be a tricky find, but you never know. If you got one off of a junk motor, maybe you can bring it to a truck repair shop or something like that and maybe they have something that will work. Wouldn't want you to take if off if you can't find a replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:21 pm 

im sure if i take one off i could find a similar replacement. next year, its getting to running season now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, wait till the winter to take if off. This way you will have all winter to hopefully find a replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:12 am 

yea thats what i was thinking. we can run it a bunch this summer and look around for them and get them next winter. i also want to have the motor rebuilt but thats gonna cost a bit so not sure when we can do that. ill have to talk to matt and see if he'd be into that. we are probably gonna get the new gearbox seals in tonight, or if not thursday. not sure on where its gonna be next winter. might be cool to take it down in the slope at 190 but i dont want to leave it there all winter. probably gonna come back to the garage where its at now. see ya

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Unless you run it around No 9. A lot of good track there, but I guess you are probably better friends with the Slope 190 people. If there wasn't a black damp problem, it would be great running it through that coal tunnel past the fake blasting section. Nice straight shot. Just run some rail down there and you'd be all set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:19 pm 

yea, already talked to them at 9, they are 42 inch gauge. and you cant add a 3rd rail at the switches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

42 inch eh? I guess it would be tricky running a switch on dual gauge track. I know Mt Hope had multiple gauges, I wonder if they had anything like this... Even if you think about it, it would be hard to make it smooth since a piece of track needs to move in order for a switch work..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:48 pm 

went down to northend electric today on keyser ave. now too far from 179. inquired about rebuilding the motor in the loco. he said he needs to see some pics. im gonna bet its gonna be around 2 grand to do it. the thing is, we need a crane to lift the frame off the motor and gearboxes. its not going to be hard, theres only 4 pins to pull out and 2 bolts on the motor and the frame will lift right off of the axles, gearboxes and motor. then we unbolt the motor and slide it out of the rear gearbox. no problem right? good thing i know people with big toys! good thing we have sponsors too! we will run it for this year, but atleast im not worried about screwing up the motor since he assured me they can rebuild anything. and after seeing his shop i believe it. he was real excited about the project and said he will cut us a break since we are doing all this cool work. he is a real nice guy but looks to be this big x military dude. funny how you get impressions from peoples appearances. he said anything they can do to help, we have anything from them. another good contact! plus they do work for reading anthracite. hmm, wonder if they will give us money for it too......hmmmm. at that point im gonna strip the whole thing and sand blast and repaint it totally. it will be new again! yay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next