Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:28 pm 

so i guess we came up with the decision to leave the car alone. since we are not going to modify it, we really dont need to take it to the shop. we can paint it outside next spring. my dad has a huge pole tent we can set up over so the sun doesnt dry the paint too soon. it really doesnt need anything except paint. i was looking at it today and cant see a way to get the connectors off with out taking the box of the top which is welded on. the connectors have a pin that holds them to the car and the pin needs to come out the top. well the "people box" is on top of the pin. oh well. i guess we will just have to push against the coupler until we find a better way to take it off. if we find out exactly where it is in the box i can burn a hole through then maybe we can get out i guess. we will work on that as next summers project. for the rest of the winter and spring i want to get that flat car done and rail laid. we need the flat car to lay the rail so i say we do that first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, you do want to get the flat car ready. It will make laying rail a lot easier. Other than the bumpers and paint, I'm glad you are leaving the man car alone. That just wouldn't have looked right giving it a wooden frame.

You could always take one of the lehman cars or the hudson cars and make a wood man car out of one of those. That would be kind of neat looking. If you do it right, it will look historic and old even though they never used them back then.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:03 pm 

no, the lehman cars are too small, and the hudson cars are cool looking so i want to leave them the same. but i am getting like 3 sets of wheels axles and bearing blocks from the scrap yard so we will have to come up with something. as for our mantrip, i would really like to get those connectors off and get a link and hook connector set up on it. but im going to have to torch a hole in the floor of the car to get the pin out of the connector. its going to be about a 3-4 inch hole under the end benches. i can then cover them over or leave them. but i would like to add the bumpers so i can push against it and not the car. there is a chain now and hook but they are offset and will look funny. plan is to torch them off and hook up a typical hook and chain. shouldnt be too difficult. we can do that next spring, should be a good time. then we will need to give rides, yes rides will commence. not sure how to paint it though. i was thinking black sides, yellow roof and a yellow stripe around it. with "ugm mantrip" in black letters in the yellow stripe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:15 pm 

hey banksey, remember that huge sandblaster they had at the airport blasting the stinson airframes, this spring we should take the mantrip up there and blast it before painting it. we want that one to look good, also since it is fairly new and not pitted at all, its just surface rust. i figure we can get it blasted in one day and the next we can prime it so it doesnt rust again. or if we blast it early we can prime it that day. we do have to wait till it warms up though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:13 am 

yeah that would be good for it. that blaster is still there? That should be pretty easy... Since the mine motor is just across the street we should lay rail down the runway and drag race it with a bitty field mojo. :lol:

But yeah that would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, you'd probably want to blast that and prime it soon (after it warms up). The longer it remains rusting, the more chance of pitting which can occur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 pm 

you guys definatly will want to blast and paint in the same day. If you dont then you will run into getting surface rust again. A few years ago i blasted a hood on a 1929 pickup one day and figured i would prime it the next due to time. well it was a waist and wound up reblasting it due to rust.