Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of hard rock mines in southern UT
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:24 pm 

Went to visit my parents in Southern Utah last August.

We had been told that this first one had been worked for manganese. We were there to look for mineral specimens on the waste dump, and therefore not equipped to go back any further.

Just a reminder, there are hazards outside an abandoned western hardrock mine that are nearly as dangerous as those inside. This little Great Basin Rattler was still pretty cold and sleepy in the early morning shade at the base of the dump. Not only should you be aware of foot placement inside a mine, you should be aware of it outside of these western holes.

These adits were up the hill around the other side. The one on the right was wide enough to drive a full size pickup into it. the one on the left went in about 10 ft and opened up into the top of a stope. Lots of chrysocola and chalcopyrite led us to believe they were probably pulling copper out of here. A few cool things to see within a few yards of the adit. A colapsed wooden trestle with rail still 10 feet or so through a couple of passages above the drift. A good sized stope with a few pine widow makers supporting the back and and a couple on the hanging wall. Lot's of great color in the rock. Again exploration wasn't the focus of the trip, specimen collecting on the dump was, so we didn't penetrate further than about 75 feet in.

Rail from the collapsed trestle in a passageway leading to the adit on the left in the exterior shot of the mine. The rail is about 10 feet above the floor of the drift.

Remains of the collapsed trestle. The stope opened up just beyond the reach of the flash.

Chutes and timbering above the floor of the main level drift. Wished I had the gear to get up there to take a closer look. Maybe next time.