Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:01 pm 

With that big of a facilty is there any private organization capable of preserving then giving tours to the public. I don't think anyone is lined up to take that step for Huber. Does anyone else know? Thta place is a major undertaking. I agree that the place should not be taken away from the owner. So how realistic is this project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:25 pm 

It doesnt matter, if they wanted it the county should have bought it for 25 grand back in the 90's like Al Roman did. The thing is that its HIS building and only HE should have a say in what is done with it. He has every right to ask any price for it. If the county disagrees either pay up or walk away but dont take it and think your doing the guy a favor by bringing a county-hired appraiser in and short change him. Anyone here in Luzurne county knows the unefectiveness and lack of fair play the last time their appraisers got involved (reassesments anyone?). Again I'm all for historical preservation, but at what cost? If it comes down to property rights vs. preservation via government encroachment on a private individual or business, then I side with the individual every time and if that means that the Huber in the end is demolished so be it. That is the price you pay for individual freedom, which to me is far more importaint. Yes it would be great to save it, but not in this manner. I guess I'm just a classic Libertarian. Now I'll take my Bob Barr for president t-shirt and get down from my soap box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:02 pm 

i agree brian, i do think it should be preserved but not taken from him. he made a good business move in the 90s buying it, where was the county then? he is a business man and saw it as an investment. i dont see anything at all wrong with that. the only thing thats wrong is how they are trying to take it from him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 pm 

Chris wrote:
i agree brian, i do think it should be preserved but not taken from him. he made a good business move in the 90s buying it, where was the county then? he is a business man and saw it as an investment. i dont see anything at all wrong with that. the only thing thats wrong is how they are trying to take it from him.

Nah, its only a good business move if you do something with it. Asking for such an amount and not being able to sell it is a bad business move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm 

My thoughts exactly and in addition I might add to Delado's response that Roman did find a buyer, it is the county that wont play ball and pony up the asking price, and in addition, in the Wilkes-Barre area alone there are dozens of scrap yards, he will have no problem finding a buyer if worse comes to worst. Hell I wish I I had 25 grand 10 years ago, I would pay off all my credit cards my mortgage, student loans, buy a 58 cadillac eldorado convertable and drive down to key largo come back in september and start over with a ton of cash left over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 pm 

so would he sell it for scrap if county doesnt buy it soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:12 pm 

Thats what he has said weather that is true or a bargaining technique I dont know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 am 

Question is though, how much would it cost to tear down the structure and would he make a profit even when metals are high. I guess he would...

Then after that, does he keep paying taxes on a piece of property that has nothing on it? How does that work.

Def. money to be made, but In my opinion, if he wanted to make a profit he should have sold it already. He might have found someone interested in the property, but for one reason or another he is still 25k or more in the hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 am 

First off the current owner may have, on paper, paid 25k for it but there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that there is more to it than that. Also since scrap prices plumeted he probably couldn't afford to tear it down now own his own anyway.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:55 am 

Honostly there is so much steel there that he would still make money removing it. He would not have to pay a demolition fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 am 

i think another big problem that seems to be overlooked or maybe not too many people know about it is that the asbestos coating on the breaker. they did this for anti corrosion and it appears to have worked very well as theres really not alot of rust on the structure of the breaker. dont know how you would deal with that during demolition. from what ive read it was coated on before the black paint, or was part of the paint on the breaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:52 am 

The asbestos could be a show stopper for any activitiy.

That includes decreasing the value of the steel, depending on what is required for removal.

I see both sides to the agrument. The property owner has the right to sell his property to any willing buyer at a price.

If the preservationist wish to buy it, it should be at a price that is comparable to the market value.

Now the preservationist do have some non-cash resources that can go into the deal. Namely, a tax- deducable donation. How that works is, if the property is worth $100 and the owner sells it for $50. The perservationist, assuming they are set-up correctly, can give him a receipt for the other $50 as a donation. He will then get percentage of that amount as cash back on his taxes.

I'm not a big fan of Emmient Domain actions for historical preservation. The property has sit for years, now when a person has a chance to make a profit, the Government or some group wants to step is.

I'm speaking in general terms, I don't know the particulars of the Breaker property or the owner in question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:11 pm 

So realistically who is going to preserve this site & then operate it for tours ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:29 pm 

The idea is not to make the breaker a museum itself. What was talked about was stabilizing the breaker and making the power house the museum. If you managed to accomplish that much in a few years you could than maybe turn part of the breaker itself into a museum. When all the eminent domain talks started the county was going to set up a authority to run the project now who knows!

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:49 pm 

Oh boy - - -the power house - - -that has the most asbestos in it. I do have to say the one boiler that exploded is unique. It took out the handrail & went through the wall. I agree Mike if that was even tackled that would be amazing.

I am 100 % about historic preservation but there really are very few of us hands on type of guys out there this day in age. You can have meetings all day long & put stuff on paper but someone still has to do the work.

If you ask me that is more difficult finding people that want to do the preservation work than writing it on paper not to mention all the equipment from a shop level to also support the preservation effort. This project is no easy task plus compounded by a high price tag. I hope for a positive outcome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next