Iron Miners
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mine Rescue Training At Pioneer Tunnel Today
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:20 pm 

today we participated in mine rescue's training at pioneer tunnel. they had to locate and rescue one live miner (adam) and one dead miner...... a manakin. i was taking pics of their progress. they did pretty good, although they probably hurt adam as he was put on the stretcher due to his broken leg from being pinned under a timber collapse (simulated :D ) he was pretty upset :D . it was a cool experience and we met some great people. ill have some pictures posted here and on the ugm site tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:13 pm 

Yeah today was pretty fun, luckily my broken leg healed up nicely and very fast. It was really cool to see how they evaluate the mine and the situations which can arise in an emergency situation, and what was really neat was all the equipment and technology they had and were using to aid in the rescue. We met alot of cool guys and higher-ups that seem to be good to have an aquaintnance with. It was pretty neat getting put on the strecher and carried through the mine, hopefully will never have to be done again. So it turned out to be quite a long day and got alot of work done in the west orchard too, I would like to thank Howie, John and whoever else was involved for inviting us down to witness and be part of this training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 pm 

yea, again that was a great time. also to note as adam pointed out with the state of the art equipment, they were using the exact same gas detectors as we use. the M40M by industrial scientific. glad to know we are using the best, and the same equipment as the msha and dep rescue teams!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:10 pm 

Man i wish i could have been there.......... sounds like it was awesome.. Next time i'll be hittin it uppppp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 pm 

Great pictures guys, Looks pretty cool. I was wondering who that one guy in the picture was. And then i read the caption that he was on Dirty Jobs and it hit me duh lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, if I had enough notice ahead of time, I would have enjoyed participating in this exercise. Its good to keep relations with DEP and offering to give a hand when we can.

The rebreathers look pretty interesting, how heavy are they? I assume these are CO - > CO2 converters? Any other information that you have on them?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:19 am 

It appears they were using DRAGER BG-4 here is a link to Drager's website and that unit:

http://www.draeger-safety.com/ST/intern ... op_bg4.jsp

These are pretty nice units i had my hand on one not to long ago checking one out. sweet stuff.