Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quick trip review
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:55 pm 

Alright we saw the oakland tunnel in ashland along with a railbed and old old drainage tunnel, also saw the AMD fountain near there. Saw the centralia tunnel and spotted two small mine entrances across the road from it. Saw centralia then went on to the Po tts colliery- - - does anyone know how deep the potts shaft is? Tried to find the keystone tunnel but we couldnt find a place to park and we didnt know where it was exactly. Driving to shamokin we saw a air shaft near locust gap i believe. Stopped at old cameron colliery and saw the ruins there- - including the monster winch and the slope behind it. Does anyone know if there is more than one mine on the culm bank side of the creek? Well that was the trip- had a lot of fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:53 am 

potts shaft? do you mean the one with the metal staircase going down? that one is 200 feet deep, it only goes down to the mammouth vein and stops, it was just for return ventlation. be really careful if you go to that one in the summer, bad air, i stuck my gas meter down there on a string and got 10% oxygen 20 feet down(only had 20' of string). in cooler weather the warmer air inside the shaft rises and it should be ok but in the summer the cooler denser air just sits there, i was getting low oxygen on the surface near the opening.

near the centralia tunnel, i think those openings are just underpassed under a narrow gauge railbed. if you go up that railbed and go a few hundred yards east you can find the bast shaft (look for the fence and 'warning mine shaft signs')but theres a cap on it and you can only see down it through the very narrow spaces between the concrete beams that form the cap. theres a bunch of foundation up there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:20 pm 

Yea thats the shaft i was talking about, looks lie that entire structure isnt going to last that long. It was pretty neat though seeing how the mine water coming out in asjland was hot- i presume from sentralia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:02 pm 

wasnt hot, just warmer than the outside air.... hence the fog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:40 pm 

56 degree water in 10 degree outside temperature yep that is fog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 pm 

ok thanks- i saw right behind an old weaving mill? a old drainage tunnel- looked to be very old and some ruins of a bridge above a railroad cut- bridge for mine cars. Anyone know what these were?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:15 am 

I drive by the "AMD fountain" everyday on my way to school in Bloomsburg. It's been going on , that I noticed, for about 2 1/2 months straight. We haven't had alot of rain or snow so what's going on with it? Why so much water pressure underground?

M.T.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=10145

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am 

and is it a bore hole or what? It almost looked like it was coming out of a cement cap or selaed mine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:25 pm 

thats a borehole, it actually opens up to 24" or so in diameter under the cement. it was once used for venilationwhen the mines were in operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:56 pm 

ok thanks, whats the little bridge beside it for though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 pm 

The mine fountain in Big Mine Run, I was told is from the Bast colliery, used to be a pump house there, the water in the small dam across from Gould's Pump is also part of this, they used to send water over to the dam and let the metals settle out of it.
Behind the knitting mill, if you would have walked up the dirt road along side of the old mill, it takes you up above there, to a area that is called the Echo, on the left side there is a pit with water that people dump garbage is, it looks to be a old shaft. On the right is a really high wall.
The old railroad track right in that area, used to run all way from Locustdale to Big Mine Run, then connect to the regular railroad line, near Big Mine Run.

The Potts shaft (also known as the haunted house), we were always told to stay away from it when we were younger, because of the problems with black damp.
It is a old escapeway/airshaft combo. My grandfather worked there.

Joanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm 

thanks, i think we found that dumping place but it w as snowy so im not sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:57 pm 

I'll ask my friend to take a trip up and get some pics. I didnt' have my camera the day we were there.
I know alot of people dump up there. Would not be afraid to say there is probably a car or 2 in it.
Let me see if I can find out more info on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:16 pm 

ok thanks, also have you hiked the railroad line up there at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:37 pm 

After the flood event we had here in March of '08 the bast discharge was blowing 10-14 feet into the air. It was amazing to see! My friend took a video of it and posted it on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rD5xrGiWg