Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Behind the drive in theater off route 6 in Dickson city?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:19 am 

I was offroading behind the drive in theater in Dickson city off route 6. I do not recall how far up the trail but on the right side of the trail, I saw a random fence in the woods. It is on the right side of the trail 20 feet or so in. Also, my brother showed me a vacant lot up the trail more that had all sorts of used (and what appeared) to be broken down construction equipment. There were some very big rusted up pieces that I think could have been used for coal mining but that's only a guess. Also is a wall of concrete that looks like it's blocking something??!!

This was all at night so I only had my spot light but I def plan on venturing up there again during the day and I'll see what more I can find. Anyone know of anything in the area I am describing?

I'm going to get a gps for xmas, I need to start plotting these things out... :D

Happy venturing:)

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:02 pm 

In the early 90's when the first Wal-Mart (now closed) and Wegman's was built , the owner and contractor (I believe Frank Colombo) discovered a vein a coal near the surface and started to strip mine. It went on for about 5 years then stopped, I don't think they ran out but don't know why they stopped either. He was leasing the land and building to Wal-Mart when rock slides hit the back wall of Wal-Mart, after the third time, Wal-Mart left due to the safety concerns of the building. There's still quite a few pieces of equipment left but one thing that has bugged me (ok, there are several) for the past 15 years is there were several mine slopes up there that were destroyed when the stripping and building of the two stores took place, but one had been sealed by parking at least three mine cars at the opening and filling around them with dirt. I wish I had unearthed them and took them.

If anyone feels I have made errors, please correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:33 am 

his brother has a gas station just outside dalton on rt 6 and there is a small mine car out front that he says they apparently pulled out of one of the drifts up there before they sealed it, or stripped through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 pm 

Great info, thanks! Like I said, one night I'll get up there and see what I can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm 

What gas station?! I'm jealous now!! Grrr...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:32 am 

hmm, not sure the name even though i drive by it almost every day, haha! its just a small thing, bootleg style. but if youre going towards factoryville just after you pass dalton on rt 6&11 the gas station is on the left. the car is painted yellow and filled with coal lumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:00 am 

yea i would pass this everyday on my way to keystone when i went there and wondered why it was there