Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:10 pm 

Ignore my last post. I was confused.

Post subject: aerial survailance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:08 pm 

ok kids heres what i got. took about 30 pics around it. you can definatly tell where the fire has spread underground cause there is places on the south west side ( where it jumped) where you can see steam rising up. also you can see all the dead trees on that side of the woods, its funny kinka how you can see how its progressing into the woods by how far the trees are dead. ill post the pics on the site maybe this weekend. gonna update it either then or next week with more mine pics from some of our last trips and this friday. ok see ya

chris

Post subject: today....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:22 pm 

just got back from the fire. found another opening there but it was filled in real recently. id say over the past weekend when they were pushing more dirt around. it is between the fire and the road you drive up from rt6. its an opening at the outcrop but has fresh dirt and rock pushed over it and there was cool air near it. but what was strange was the cool air. you would think it would have been either warm air from the fire, or you wouldnt feel any cause it would be an intake hole for the fire below?? oh well. anyways, brought a wrench and took the caps off 4 boreholes, 2 were warm another was cool and the one right in the middle of the fresh excavating area was super hot. it burned if you got too close to it. took that one off and as the cap was almost off it balsted off like a rocket. probably went 10 feet high!! pretty neat, there was a huge steam geiser for about 10 sec, you know just enough to get the camera ready then it stopped. but it was blowing real hot air out fast! i have one of those digital lazer thermometers that is like a gun you point at a heat source with the red dot at work im gonna take next time. we need to do that at night though, so we dont get a false reading from the sun on the rocks. well thats all for now. see ya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:14 pm 

When do you plan on going up? Count me in definately.

Post subject: yo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:14 am 

monday 4 pm

Post subject: New Solution?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:46 am 

*COMPLETELY UNCONFIRMED*

It has been rumored that OSM, DEP, Olyphant Borough, and the Jessup Borough are all in discussion for a possible solution to quench the Olyphant Mine Fire. The "Connors Dam" resevoir on the Jessup mountain "can" be re-routed through a series of already exsisting creeks to the mine fire. It's probably 450sq yards on the surface.. to give an idea to how much water is there. The only problem is that in one section the creek actually goes uphill (because it used to flow the other direction then this before the mountain was cut apart by highway and industrial park projects). So a little machine work will be necessary there.

I can assure you one thing for sure... if this happens I'm setting up a video camera on the Giombetti silt pile and filming it. :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:56 am 

The creek that is down in the gulley right next to the mine fire is Sterrick Creek, the creek that comes from Connors. How do they plan on getting the water uphill to the mine fire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:23 pm 

wow . .that'd be awesome to see....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

I don't understand how they could possible do that... They would need to pump it in I would think, unless there really is a good enough supply on top of that hill. But from what I have read on mine fires, I have never heard success using water to put out an out of control mine fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:26 pm 

they would have to use a controlled amount.. if the water started filling up the trenches there and then started to spill over and head further down the hill to the road it would be bad news... they'll have boiling water headed for the town. imagine the steam that would be produced when the water hits all the burning coal and rock... wow

hey mecca.... is there a drainage outfall somewhere for those mines that they could block and back up the water into the fire? probably not becasue it's on the mtn right? peoples basements would flood in the town....

Banks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:11 pm 

Most of those mines up there are dry. The water goes down into the valley and then dumps into the mines downtown and into the river. I don't think that the creek into the fire solution would be a smart one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

It amazing what happens when you are too cheap to do a good job trying to stop the fire. Now look what happens and what you are going to have to do to stop the fire. Completely amazing...

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Has this even gotten any news coverage? It seems like the only people on top of this story are you guys! It is like everyone is blind to the fact that their town is about to light on fire and property values plummet into the fire below.

Miner Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:35 pm 

yeah . . it is kindof strange how nobody seems to know about it...

Post subject: news
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:18 am 

it was just on the news a week or so ago. not all of them drain to valley. some of the mines on the hill come to water, eg. archbald large mine. that one has the barrier pilliar still intact and doesnt connect and drain to the other ones. the one bore hole that i took the cap off of a few weeks ago had water at the bottom. there was steam coming out of that one when i removed the cap. but if you drop a rock down there was a good ker-plunk!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next