Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scranton subsidence
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:32 pm 

going to scranton tonight to check out a house that is falling into a mine. its right over the diamond workings. we were not under it, but not by much. we actually parked right in front of it when we went to diamond. ill post pics later

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Chris, by chance is this the house you're talking about.....

House Sinking in Scranton

Thursday, October 12, UPDATED 11:00p.m.
By Bianca Barr

A home in Lackawanna County is sinking into the ground. The house on Scranton's west side is off limits to the family that lives there.

City officials say the house in the Tripp Park section of Scranton is sinking into the ground. So far, the home's front foundation has collapsed and other parts of the foundation are cracking and giving way.

The person who lives in the house on Farr Street found the mess Thursday afternoon. The foundation wall in the front of the house fell into the basement and there are cracks in the side foundation too.

The homeowner, Florence Slawitsky, said there was a sinkhole in the yard a few years ago and that these structural problems began in July.

"It started in July and I've had surface mining here and they're monitoring it and checking it, measuring it and watching it since July," said Slawitsky.

Her son lives there and discovered the mess Thursday afternoon. City officials had the utilities turned off there and at the home next door as a precaution.

"It looks unstable from my experience, it could stop going and two or three hours from now it could continue we just don't know," said Bill Fiorini of Scranton's Licenses and Inspection Department.

Fiorini said the Office of Surface Mining has taken over and will try to figure out if a mine subsidence is causing the damage.

Until then, the house if off-limits for its residents.

"He can't live here. They've cut the power and the water is off and he has to come stay with me and I don't know what is going to happen," said Florence Slawitsky of her son.

The homeowner said there was a sinkhole in the yard a few years ago. Since there are many underneath the whole city, she wants to find out what's causing the collapse as soon as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:03 pm 

thats the one, ill post the pics tomorow