Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unknown mine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:39 pm 

does anyone know is the unknown mine next too the philips mine or is it on military property somewhere i was up at the philips mine last month and saw everything gated off , read about the unknown mine wondered if i can visit that next thanks dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Do you have a picture or reference of the mine you are referring to? I am not aware of any mines that are located on the military property. However, every so often we do stumble across unmarked and obscure mine workings of which we cannot find any information on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 am 

found mike ,what i was talking about , its in cold springs , will get some lights and venture soon, was walking yesterday and stumbled across it, it has a steel door and 2 vent pipes coming out , pretty neat, also has alot of metal scrap around, i was also told mike, lately that the sunkin mine, in fawnstock once past the water has other mines , crossing parrelel, in different directions , havent actually been in it more than a few feet, anyway is that true? spending more time nowadays walking through woods , next venturing up too ellinville too the airport where they say there are lead mines, thanks guys for all the pictures , really enjoy , walking in cold springs mountains alot ,of foundations and rock, find myself, collecting more and more samples lately,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Dave,

The entrance you are describing with the steel door and 2 vent pipes is actually a short quarry tunnel. It extends only about 40 feet into the mountain and I believe it was used for storing explosives for the quarry, hence the concrete wall and steel door. It is kind of neat is proportionately consistent with a standard mine adit.

Regarding Sunk Mine, are you referring to the water filled portion of the large stope? If so, we have ventured past here but have not discovered any tunnels or workings that deviate from the northeast course of the strike (the direction of the orebody/stope). There is however a fault that displaced the ore body, but northeast of the fault, another stope continues in the same direction.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 pm 

Thanks mike for the info do want too check out these mines before the snow falls, and hopefully get up north too , what history, we have around us in putnam county alone , is incredible, with the iron mines,keep up the great work. checking these mine sites out.