Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dewatering Pipe
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 am 

The picture shows the dewatering pipe at the Hogencamp Mine. I have frequently seen these pipes and when asked what they are by curious folks, I advise that they played a part in keeping the mine dry. But does anyone know how this is/was accomplished? I haven't the foggiest idea. Was something hooked up to this pipe at one time? Many thanks.

Attachments:
Pipe.jpg
Pipe.jpg [ 382.36 KiB | Viewed 38019 times ]

Post subject: Re: Dewatering Pipe
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:18 pm 

im not sure on my understanding, ive read some on it, but here is what I know, and I bet a few folks here can clarify or correct me. My understanding is that at the bottom of the shaft is the actual pump itself, i think they were of the cornish type if its early to mid 19th century, the pump i beleive is kinda like a rubber grommet inside the pipe.. At the top of the shaft outside of the mine was the engine that powered this pump, , which basically was a steam piston that had long rods that connected to the pump all the way at the bottom of the shaft. the rods would alternate up and down and pump the water up in that matter. the bigger the piston the larger the pump and discharge of water. Ive read that some of the larger engines in cornwal were able to discharge 80-100 gallons per pump, and they did perhaps 1 pump every 10 seconds or so. Thats my understanding.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:05 pm 

Thank you Dan. Much appreciated. Wonder if the pump is still down there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I spent some time looking into the mechanics of this myself shortly after you brought it up Jackstraw. The more I read, the more complicated it became to try to describe (and grasp). lol. I believe the pumps at Hogencamp Mine as well as many of our 19th century mines likely would have been steam operated pumps. I know the Cornish system of steam pumps were used first in America and its use was documented at the Schuyler Mine. With the Cornish pump, the driving engine would be located above ground. This would be connected to the pump underground via a long line of rods as Dan explained. More modern steam pumps would be designed with the driving engine as part of the same unit as the pump (Direct Acting) but this was eventually replaced by compressed air and electric powered pumps.

Unfortunately, I cannot locate any old time surface photos of pump shafts in the area. I did however find some photos of steam pumps used underground in the Richard Mine. Take a look at http://books.google.com/books?id=Jm0fAQ ... CC4Q6AEwAg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:07 pm 

heres the pump room at jeddo that we did some work down in...... for what its worth.....

not much changed over the years except the type of pump.....

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19646

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 am 

Thanks Chris and Mike. Fascinating.