Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Three Miners Rescued From Zinc Mine
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:52 pm 

NEW MARKET, Tenn. (AP) -- A fire broke out inside a zinc mine in Tennessee on Wednesday, trapping three miners inside for about three hours before they were rescued, authorities said. Two other miners below ground were injured by smoke inhalation.

The three miners were trapped by smoke and needed respirators before they could leave the mine. A rescue team helped them out and they appeared unharmed, though they were taken to a hospital as a precaution, said Tim Wilder of the Jefferson County EMA.

"They looked about as good as expected for being underground for three hours," he said.

Wilder said the miners had been in contact with authorities by couldn't leave because the smoke was so thick. "It's the ending you hope for," he said.

Renata Roberts, a spokeswoman for Switzerland-based mine operator Nyrstar, said the three rescued miners were "in fine spirits."

"We are working with mine safety officials and others to make sure it's safe to resume operations. We are undertaking a full investigation," Roberts said.

There were 54 miners underground at the time of the fire, according to Amy Louviere, a spokeswoman with the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

It was not clear yet how the fire started on a drill rig about 800 feet below ground around 1:10 p.m. EST.

The Young Mine is about 25 miles northeast of Knoxville.

According to MSHA records, Nyrstar has been operating the mine since 2006 and has had six operator injuries this year and seven operator injuries last year. Most were minor, according to descriptions of the incidents available on the MSHA website.

In November, a truck bed hit a high voltage cable causing a power outage in part of the mine. The mine was evacuated until power was restored about two hours later.

The mine had an average of about 99 miners working underground in the third quarter of 2011.

© 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Post subject: Re: Three Miners Rescued From Zinc Mine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Apparently a diesel powered drill rig caught on fire 800 feet underground and the three miners were trapped by smoke. They retreated to a bunker 1200 feet inside until the fire was out and then were led safely out of the mine by a mine rescue team. A number of additional articles can be read at http://newsfeedresearcher.com/data/arti ... -fire.html . The miners are in good health and the Young Mine, operated by Nyrstar, resumed operations as of December 30.