Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mine collapse at Indonesia
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

DENPASAR - At least 33 people are missing after a training tunnel at the massive Grasberg gold and copper mine in Indonesia's West Papua province collapsed, according to mine owner Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.

"A tunnel in the underground training area collapsed, trapping a number of employees," said Freeport in a statement, which was reprinted by Reuters. "The rescue process is difficult and will take some time to complete."

Read more from GlobalPost: Ghana mine collapse kills 17

The collapse, which took place early Tuesday morning, took place near the entrance to the Big Gossnan Mine, wrote Dow Jones, while Freeport maintains that early reports of fatalities were unconfirmed.

Four were rescued from the mine and given medical treatment, according to Reuters, while three managed to get away from the collapse with no injuries. According to Dow Jones, one employee suffered broken bones.

"Freeport Indonesia does not expect this event to have a material effect on mining and milling operations or development activities," added Freeport in its statement, noted Reuters.

Strikes at the hugely lucrative mine have been commonplace since it was founded in the 1970s, and 2011 saw a three-month-long strike by Freeport employees, the longest such labor dispute in Indonesian history.

A brief three-day strike at the beginning of May ended after Freeport came to an agreement with contract laborers at the Grasberg mine.

The Grasberg mine is the largest gold mine on the planet and the third-largest open pit copper mine, and Freeport expects 2013 sales to approximate 1.1 billion pounds of copper and 1.25 million ounces of gold, up considerably from 2012.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... -collapse-

Post subject: Re: Mine collapse at Indonesia
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure if anyone had heard about that, but here is the update as of today:

Final Remains Recovered from Grasberg Collapse

Print
Email

Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.’s Indonesian subsidiary declared a day of mourning after a cave-in at its massive Grasberg complex killed 28, prompting the mine’s closure along with a sweeping review of all Indonesia’s mining operations. The 28 deaths took place after a collapse at an underground classroom on May 14. Ten people were rescued and all of the dead have been recovered.

Memorial services have been held at PT Freeport Indonesia’s Jakarta office and its site—the world’s No. 2 copper mine—in remote West Papua. “We continue to grieve with the families even as we close this grim chapter,” Freeport Indonesia Director Rozik Soetjipto said in an emailed statement, according to Bloomberg News. “There is still much to do for us to provide the best care and support for the injured and the families of the bereaved.”

The Phoenix-based Freeport extracts 19% of its copper production and 90% of its gold output from its massive Indonesian mines, which are visible, unenhanced, from outer space.

Freeport CEO Richard Adkerson, who was on site, pledged due diligence to understand the mine’s integrity. “We had no concerns or fears about its safety, so that’s why we need to understand why this happened,” he said. “We’re undertaking a review of all of our underground activities right now. It’s our responsibility. There will be an independent review, and we will cooperate with it.”

Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ordered a safety review of all mines in Indonesia—open pit and underground—while Mining Ministry Director Thamrin Sihite called the latest incident “one of the worst accidents in Indonesia.” The archipelago’s most recent comparable disaster took place when a 2009 West Sumatra coal mine blast claimed 31 lives.

http://www.e-mj.com/index.php/news/lead ... g-collapse