Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reward Mine ~ California = 1954
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:11 pm 

Through this forum, I am pleased to say I have (electronically) met a fellow who is preserving the History of old mines with video. . .one of which was the Reward Mine.

My father was the Superintendant of the Reward Mine in the Inyo Mountians in 1954 ... where we moved as a family from Los Angeles! I was age 1 & 1/2 !!! We didn't stay long, it was really VERY rugged living ... just basically a 'shed' with Orange Crates for tables, the backseat of a car for a couch, and my crib I'm told stood with each leg in a coffee can half filled with water, so when the scorpions and such tried to get up to where the warmth (of me!) was, they would fall in and drown.

The mine itself I understand was in a phase of seeing if it could be a "go" again in the 1950's ...

I was last there in the late 1980's to see the mine ... and now have seen it again thru a member of this website.

Thank you for this forum. It has helped me immensely to "see" that there is still interest in preserving this History!

Post subject: Re: Reward Mine ~ California = 1954
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks and welcome to the forum! While no single person on this forum can visit every historical site, the collaboration of everyone here together can keep history alive around all parts of the world! I'm glad you found something to bring back old times. I understand you were pretty small, but any war stories you have from back in the day will also help others to appreciate the history behind the site. Thanks again.

Miner Greg

Post subject: Re: Reward Mine ~ California = 1954
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Simply describing your description of the rough living conditions at Reward Mine provides an invaluable footnote to its overall history. Others may reference your comments in their research. Thanks for sharing and feel free to share more.