Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OVCC project of the LAST one man underground coal mine Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:37 pm 

We worked with Marion the coal miner for several years until in 2007 his tragic death occured at this very mine. He was the last one man coal mine in Ohio. Special thanks to everyone that helped us preserve a majority of his mine site and relocate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fwk2yFhZ3I

2005-2012 A time that we will all miss. Enjoy guys.

Thanks, Pete OVCC

Post subject: Re: OVCC project of the LAST one man underground coal mine O
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:27 am 

Thanks Pete, I enjoyed that rather poignant video.

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 am 
sorry for all of the comments on the video. How old was most of the equipment in the mine, how long was he the owner, and how did he die in the mine? was he still mining when you guys opened the mine with the motor? What did MSHA think of the mine? I guess when he died, it was the end of an era.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:28 am 

Miner Dave.....we will answer all your questions shortly. Unique story about this mine.

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 pm 

The Brief version of the mine story of the Ohio Hidden Mine

Step One
The way the history goes Marion's father worked at an underground mine near by. The father had 2 sons and they both decided to go into business together starting their own coal mine despite what the father said. They said the good mining was in strip mining. Where the lower tipple was standing used to be the original site of their first strip mine. The tipple at the top was the original tipple to the strip mine.

Step Two
The brothers quickly learned that they had to change the mine to an underground mine to get the coal. Keep in mind this is more or less a large scale bootleg mine and the mine inspectors were consistly thrown off the property. The underground equipment was all purchased 2nd hand from nearby mines. They were extremely smart in the design of the infrastrucre. Aeriel pictures will not show a mine entrance or the tracks. They had built a shed over the haulage line coming out the side of the hill to the tipple. Weather conditions would never cause a problem for the mining production by keeping the outside operation under cover. There were a total of 12 mine cars they had bought new from Watt. Each car cost $600 at the time. The steel they got to build the tipple were from local bridges that had gone through an upgrade. They eventually had 3 Jeffrey coal cutters, 2 joy loaders, 2 joy shuttle cars to take the coal from the working face to the haulage line. It is amazing they had so much equipment. Eventually the mine inspectors came in shut the mine down for not following federal procedures. The abandoment records state it was closed in the late 60's BUT so they thought. We believe they kept mining to the late 70's to early 80's. In the same time period Marion's brother had passed away suddenly. The mine came to a hault with the face equipment still underground. Marion never shut the power of to the mine with hopes and dreams that some day he would mine again. We met him in 2005. The Power was still on. He took us down to the portal and energized the dc trolley wire power on. AMAZING we fired up 2 jeffrey motors still coupled up to empty trips ready to go back underground from over 20 years ago. Marion then realized it was time to start finding his mining equipment a new home and the mine would never reopen. We really enjoyed spending time with him and listening to his stories. He was in his late 70's by then. He lived by himself and worked alone. One day Marion decided to cut up a frame of a parts jeffrey loco he had outside. He was using a cutting torch when suddenly one of the sparks caught his pants leg on fire. He was unable to put the fire out the engolfed his clothes and died at his mine site. Tragic loss to everyone that knew him. We had placed a cross by the mine frame where he had died with a case of coke which he drank on a regular daily basis. We continued working with the family to save what we could. It was a huge group effort but now his mining equipment will be used to teach the public the history of coal mining and the importance of the mining industry today. His legacy lives on. :D Marion had passed away when we opened the mine one last time.

Pete, OVCC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:18 pm 

Thanks for the info. It was very informative.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

I never got to see this video. Very well done! I like the write up too. Glad to see that his legacy is being preserved for future generation.

Miner Greg