Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New local histroy book
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:34 pm 

Nick Petula of the Court street area has co authored a book about the Scranton public schools. Many many photos. Some show mine subsidence damage the schools sustined. Nick is probably one of the most authorative persons in the Scranton area when it comes to local history. Being a good friend I stopped down his house one day. He owns two homes on one property. The first is the home he lives in. The other is entirly filled with history stuff !! He was fortunate to dumster dive back in 1976 when Con Rail took over the former Scranton DL&W passenger station, and decided to toss the records of that company out. Many Bunnell photos were saved. Also around that time the Times decided to clean out its photo library. Fortunately Nick was also dumster diving. I believe this is his fifth book. Hes done work on the Breweries of Scranton, Pioneer neighborhood ( history of Bulls Head), and I believe local baseball. Most contain some mining history. Although he in no way portrays himself to be authorative on that subject. Copies are only available through the Lackawanna historical society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 am 

Are you talking about the book co-authored with Thomas Morgan, Sr.? I believe they went to Albright Memorial Library to talk about their book, which discussed history of public schools in Scranton. Not sure if this is what you were talking about as I can't find a link.

As for the baseball book, I think you were talking about "A History of Scranton Professional Baseball."