Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: cap
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:34 am 

johnr wrote:
Can't recall who posted the link or if that guy still has an e-bay listing, but last year or early this year someone posted a link on here to a guy who bought out some Koehler lamps from a nickle mine in Canada. A bunch of us got them, only $25 each. Very good condition, work great. I got a brand new cap, MSHA, for $35. Looks like on line today they go for around 45-47 bucks so I guess I got a deal on both. Very happy with the lamps, I got 2 and Scott topped me off with the acid solution, got 26 hours out of one of the lights before it went dim.

Hey John, I posted the ebay sale. I checked the seller and he currently doesn't have any for sale but I didn't ask either. Seller id is "north-50". Also, according to Koehlers maintenance instructions, acid should not be added after the initial filling. Use only distilled water. Here's a link to their guide. http://www.koehlerlighting.com/pdf/5000%20Battery.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 pm 

I once ended up with some old Koehler Wheat lamps whose batteries had dried out. Although the specs do not call for adding electrolyte after they've been in service, I found that in some cases this was an effective way to rejuvenate an otherwise unserviceable battery. (distilled H2O and charging didn't work in these cases)

I used some "Gill" electrolyte (aircraft battery stuff) and it had a specific gravity of approx 1.280, I treated it as if the battery was a new (dry) one and followed the instructions as specified by Koehler for a new battery. ....So far, the ones I have done this to are working great!

Initially, the batteries would not take a charge, but after the above treatment the charge current began to rise and they seem to be functioning normally with good capacity. If you have a battery that is mechanically sound and is only "dried out" this may be helpful.

Good luck, and as always, use some care and good common sense when working on any such things....and consider the suitability for your intended use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

If the batteries are completely dry, your best off adding real electrolyte. I am sure the servicing guides are referring to topping off a battery that is slightly low in acid. Not a battery that is completely empty. I've purchased 'damp-dry' car batteries in the past. There are basically a regular battery with non-sealed cells which were dumped and shipped via regular mail. They always call for filling the battery with real acid, not distilled water.

Miner Greg