Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Antique Davy Lamp???
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:31 pm 

hey guys this is my first post and i hope you can help me out with this........... ive had this lamp for a while but just started to look into it and so far i figured out its a safety lamp from the 1800's but i cant figure out what the markings are on the top........... whats your opinion??? looks like somebody tapped the number 700 on top???? and also the numer 111......... then theres a diamond shape with the letters B and C . i know it was custom for miners to purchase their own equipment so maybe the guy numbered his or its the mine number perhaps???? also i havent been able to find a pic with the type of hand forged hook like on the one i have, all the others have a simple ring or bent piece of wire looking thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 pm 

heres the bottom ......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:45 am 

Hey Brovo,

It wasn't always customary for miners to buy their own lamps........ mostly actually the company did.. and oftimes they'd print a miner's number / name / initials into a check tag on the lamp (or, possibly in your case, the lamp itself) to symbolize ownership. (The thought was that if the miners believed they had some ownership or possession over the lamp they would take better care of it).

Anyway, without much research into the subject of fake mining lights, i would say yours appears far too beat and worn up to be some p*ssy a*s reproduction. (pardon my ENGLISH.) Looks like you have a nice find,

Where did you find it?
Are there any other markings on the lamp indicating make / location it was made?
I have a really useful book on the make of mining lights...... but thats for another night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:41 am 

i got it from my g/f's grandfather who lived in Dushore PA ..no other markings that i can see ......thanks for your help, its been tough finding any info about this thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:58 am 

I'll look in my book of lamps later if i get some time and try to properly identify it... off to work now.

Speaking of Dushore.. you wouldn't happen to have on pictures from that area? (of the mines when they were running) I'd love to go minin' up there. What a great place to be... just no where close enough to sell the mine run coal these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:49 pm 

sorry but i dont have any pics..........most of the time when i was up there we just relaxed in the cabin or down by Worlds End

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm 

wow, another mine fan around here? i thought i was the only one!