Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to mine exploring
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:26 am 

Hello guys :mrgreen:

My Name I Jeff and i reside in Southern California. Me and a few buddies want to get into checking out old mines in the area. We have been in the Calico mine in Yermo, CA and that was really cool to see. We want to get into vertical shafts to see some actual remains of the rail cars, tracks, and things like that.

My question is, can you guys give me some advice and info on mines like these? I would also appreciate some links to equiptment like harness, hard hat, and other items that may become useful. I have looked for a package deal and don't see much. We definitely want to get in contact with someone who is experienced to teach us more. I have seen pictures of people using a winch on their Jeep and it looks like it will work! I am a owner and part owner of a Jeep site for So Cal Jeep guys.

Also if you can lead me to blogs or write ups on exploring mines safety, info on repelling down versicle shaft or anything like that it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff!

Post subject: Re: New to mine exploring
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 am 

Try here for a nice guy(ouch!!)....he's in your neck of the woods.

http://www.starbuck.org/exploring/

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org/ghost.htm

Chris,
in New Zealand.

Post subject: Re: New to mine exploring
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:13 am 

JeeperGeck wrote:
Hello guys :mrgreen:

My Name I Jeff and i reside in Southern California. Me and a few buddies want to get into checking out old mines in the area. We have been in the Calico mine in Yermo, CA and that was really cool to see. We want to get into vertical shafts to see some actual remains of the rail cars, tracks, and things like that.

My question is, can you guys give me some advice and info on mines like these? I would also appreciate some links to equiptment like harness, hard hat, and other items that may become useful. I have looked for a package deal and don't see much. We definitely want to get in contact with someone who is experienced to teach us more. I have seen pictures of people using a winch on their Jeep and it looks like it will work! I am a owner and part owner of a Jeep site for So Cal Jeep guys.

Also if you can lead me to blogs or write ups on exploring mines safety, info on repelling down versicle shaft or anything like that it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff!

Hey, Jeff!

I'm in Southern California, too (San Diego area). Been exploring mines for about three or four years now. Just recently got into rappeling inside mines. Still have a long way to go in terms of getting more skilled at it. There are a bunch of us all over southern California who head out periodically to mines all over the place. We've been to mines in Death Valley, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Lone Pine, in southern and central Nevada, and even here in the local mountains around San Diego. Check out my YouTube channel for all the videos of our explorations here: http://www.youtube.com/user/fhood?feature=mhee

Regarding equipment for rappeling, I bought all my stuff this time last year off of Karst Sports website (http://www.karstsports.com/). Usually at this time of the year (November/December) they have sales on their climbing equipment, and you can score some good deals on harnesses, rope, webbing, carabiners, etc..

We're headed out next weekend to the Lone Pine/Independence area of California to check out some mines in the Inyo Mountains. Ever been? Tons of abandoned mines there. Not looking forward to sleeping outside at night in 20-degree temperatures. We will probably sleep inside a mine adit to stay a little warmer.

Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Where are you located at in southern California? Hope to talk to you soon!

Later.

Frank