Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 am 
Hi there. I was jsut wondering what your favorite locomotive(s) are. mine are the GG1, any ALCO product esp. the PA ( I guess that you could call me an ALCOholic), any Fairbanks Morse locomotive, the Big Boy, the shay, and any steam locomotive. I was also wondering, would it be possible to take the equipment that would make the GG1 move in the center and replace it with a diesel motor so you can run it while raising funds to get the equipment restored? Also, could you run a 4-6-2 off of compressed air while raising funds for a boiler restoration? I know that some mine locomotives were that way, but could you do it with a mainline locomotive?

Post subject: Re: Favorite locomotive
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:08 pm 

Miner Dave wrote:
Also, could you run a 4-6-2 off of compressed air while raising funds for a boiler restoration?

It would present several difficulties.

1) If the Boiler is in need of repair, how and where are you going to store the compressed air?

2) At a given pressure and volume, compressed air does not have as much energy as steam. ( 90+% Certainty )

3) It would take a very large compressor or a small compressor and a very long time.

In theory it will work and maybe to move an engine a few feet for test. But not any serious distance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:34 pm 
the boiler is sound, but not enough for steam. I was thinking about putting a large compressor (road-construction size) in the area for coal, and then putting the fuel in the water part of the tender and running fuel lines out the water hatch to the compressor. I saw on Mega Movers them move a (fairly) large steam shovel with a compressor (the kind that is used by road crews). they bipassed the boiler and raised the the boom, dipper arm, swung the house, and moved the tracks once the shovel was loose from the ground it had been sitting on for years. it then moved down the road 1/2 a mile under it's own power on the air. (they used a truck to pull the compressor ahead of the machine, and I was thinking that the tender of the locomotive could hold the compressor)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm 
is what i am thinking of possible?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 am 

Why would you try and run it with Air? just sitting the Drivers on double rollersets and turning them over with an electric motor would be the easiest set -up.
I'm sure you can find a model version at Micro-mark for inspiration.

Favourite Diesel? U-50 or DDA-40X
Favourite Electric? Milwaukee Road Bi-Polar
Favourite Steam? Mich-Cal #2 or DRGW C-16 #271

Chris
in NZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 am 
Might I mention that this is a 1:1 scale locomotive? how would I get the drivers on some electric rollers? I was thinking of using it to pull excursion trains.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:39 am 

Sorry Dave, I mis-read your post as that you wanted it running in a static position on rollers or compressed air for demonstration purposes while fundraising the restoration. I guess if the running gear was sound you could just push it around with a Diesel but with the pulling of passengers I doubt OSH would have a bar of it and after all why would ya?

Chris
in New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:42 am 
do you mean OSHA? I want to run it because it was my Great-Great-Grandfather's locomotive. I even have one of his pocket watches coming my way when my grandpa passes away. First it goes to my uncle, then to me. The watch has four hands, one minute hand, one secaond hand, and two hour hands, becaue he used to travel across timezones when he pulled the Soo Line "Mountaineer". Yes, I love steam, and I love my family's railroad history. That is the reason I am going to become an engineer! My family has a lot of railroad history, including one of the men on the locomotive that was pulling the train that was stopped by Kate Shelly, the engineer on the 999 when she made her record breaking run, all teh way back to the Transcontinental Railroad. One on the Union Pacific, and another on the Central Pacific, both track layers. The one on the CP was in attendance (he didn't work, he was a man that handed out spike mauls that day, otherwise he would have been dropping the rails) on the 10 mile day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

You could push it with a diesel locomotive in back.. But I'd think the loco would need brake inspection and the whole works before being allowed on an active track.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm 
The thing is, I want it to be only the steamer and a loco from that time period. if it was a loco that the Soo had when it was in service, an operated along side it, then I would be ok. It would have to be an early Alco, GMD, or Baldwin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
I remember reading a book about Challengers, and I vaguely recall that it said the UP was thinking about experimenting with a streamlined challenger. I can't recall the name of the book, but it had an artists rendering of what it might look like. Can anyone help me? I know that it looked REALLY cool.