Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will 'o the Whistle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 pm 
Hi y'all. I was going through an old box in my basement, and found that it contained a group of old magazines called "The Wizard" from the Britain.I suspect that they belonged to my great-great grandfather when he was stationed overseas in the late 1950's and early 1960's. The magazines that are in the box are dated from between 1957-1958. The story of the title is very interesting. If you would like, I can post scans of the story. It has an interesting theme, and about three of the sections are about rescuing miners from overwork by occupying forces. Here is the background, as I have done some research on the magazine and the story.
The story “Will O’ The Whistle” was the second time the Kushantis invaded Britain.
The first story “The Yellow Sword” appeared in The Wizard in 1955.
The main locomotive in the story is “City of Truro”.
This locomotive was a Class 3700 built in Swindon in April 1903 and numbered 3440, renumbered 3717 in 1912
and withdrawn in 1931. Reported to be the first locomotive to travel over 100mph but not official.
The locomotive was retired to York Museum.

The “Will O’ The Whistle” story appeared in The Wizard #1652 October 12th 1957 – #1669 February 8th 1958.
A picture version of this story appeared in The Victor #626 February 17th 1973 - #642 June 9th 1973.
The Wizard stories during the 1950’s/60’s had several railway themes Inc.: “Ginger and the Duke and the Wee Blue Book” and “Johnny on the Spot." There was also a Loco Spotters Club with regular features.

I also must tell you that if you want me to upload the scans, I will have to get the first part from a website, as the first episode of the story is missing, because the magazine is not in the box.

Post subject: Re: Will 'o the Whistle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Is this the one?

Miner Greg

Post subject: Re: Will 'o the Whistle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:58 am 
Yep.