Iron Miners
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Everywhere I turn something reminds me of a mine.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:43 pm 

I went to a diner the other day and I read this on my place mat so it must be true. It is the origin of the term "Petered out."

An explanation comes from American miners during the 1849 gold rush. The gunpowder mixture of saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal, commonly called "peter" by miners, was used as an explosive in mining, and when no amount of exploding turned up any more gold, the mine was "petered out".

Another explaination refers to the apostle Peter, who first rushed to Christ's defence in the Garden of Gethsemane, but later disclaimed any knowledge of the fellow when the chips were down. His support "petered out".

I have come to terms that mining is involved in every part of live as we know it. It has altered the english language and in this case supercedes the bible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Very true. The average person really doesn't have a concept on how much of the goods and needs that you use everyday came from some type of mining. Most people don't even know that there was mining in these parts of the country (other than Coal in PA). All your steal came from mines. People take zinc pills, that comes from mining. Are you married? Well where did that ring come from? Nails and screws to build stuff. Power, well that comes mostly from Coal but alot of it also comes from Uranium - both are mined.

Lets think of a simple product like paper. Paper comes from trees, but you need steal saws to cut the trees down. Steal is used in the paper process. You need electricity to power the machines used in making it.

It is really difficult to think of a single product that doesn't have some type of mining influence in it no matter what it is. Mining is everywhere. No one thinks about it, but it was a part in the production of almost everything you use.

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:42 pm 

I strongly agree Greg and that is why I love the USA and all the mines that we can still explore! :D