Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coal Dust = Premature Engine Life?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:58 pm 

I am planning on purchasing some diesel welding machines that are scheduled to operate in a coal mine. The machines will not be placed inside the mine or anything, but rather at the coal processing plant and maintenance building etc. The air seems fresh and breathable but when I work there all day my face and clothes are pretty dirty by the end of the day even if im inside the office working all day.

I am having these concerns because my previous 2 company trucks decided to end their lifes early. The F350 super duty had maybe 75,000kms and was running so bad we decided to sell it for a measly maybe 6000 dollars. The brand new dodge heavy duty with the hemi needed a new engine at 15,000kms.

I suspect these trucks had an early life due to the coal dust in the air. Is this normal or is it just a run of bad luck for me? Are there special filters that you can buy to prevent this?

Thanks,

Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:33 am 

well, the fact that it was a dodge might have something to do with it. greg and mike a. know more about the topic. replaced any engines lately boys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 am 

Nope, 61,000 in two years and there hard miles too. Chris and Banks will vouch for that :twisted: I don't think running an engine around a coal mine will shorten it's life much if you keep the air filter clean and oil changed. They say that all you have to do to keep yourself from getting black lung is were a 50 cent dust mask, the kind you get from home depot. If that works for humans the air filter in a engine should by more than up to the task. John, I noticed you picked on the dodge and let the fords slide. Is it because your new company has fords :lol:

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

yes, i also have never heard of this before. ill ask around some mine sites but like already mentioned keeping a good clean air filter and you oil changed and there shouldnt be much of a problem. make sure there is no induction leaks on the engine too, or the air filter wont be doing much good at all. also, wouldnt you think that if you were sucking in a bunch of coal dust, the result of burning it would plug up the cat, it probably wouldnt all burn and may plug it...... i dont know really adam is the auto mechanic........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:36 am 

aah... the brand loyality issue comes....I have alot of different makes
here is my results;
Ford, good equipment but expensive and hard to get parts for
chevy/GMC..reliable good fuel econmy cheap to fix
CAT.....bullet proof
John deere....well built reilable $ to fix
Honda.....cold-blooded,econonical

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:14 am 

I DID NOT hear Mike Huh? dissing Fords.
I didn't hear it.
Nope.

xo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:07 am 

Yes you did, loud and clear! :lol: Hey I can't help it if I call a spade a spade.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:02 am 

ha HA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:57 pm 

This from someone who drives a DODGE.
Sheesh.
How old is that gas-hog anyway?

I agree with Digger that CAT is "bullet-proof." Would love to have one of them in my big truck.
Ford is hard to get parts for, and from what I hear hard to work on as well.
I heard the Dodge was hard to get parts for as well.
I think a Toyota was the only thing I had that didn't need worked on constantly.
(Seriously. That was a great car.)

~S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:43 pm 

WELL we have been through this similar topic before:

CAT--most durable

FORD, was never a big fan until the Super Duty series (WE HAVE PUT THIS TO THE TEST)

We have been all over the country & have had this so overloaded but it keeps on running trouble free

ALMOST 300,000 HARSH MILES :shock:

STATS DON'T LIE

It has been in every type of Industrial environment (coal mining (almost every state that has them), steel mills, coke plants, lime mines, iron mines (Missouri), nickel mines (Canada), gold mines (Colorado), silver mines, through flooded rivers and the list keeps going)

We have weighed in up to 28,000lbs with our truck & trailer loaded on a 3/4 ton truck

Below is a picture taken Friday we travelled 1200 miles in 2 days to an underground lime mine (weighed in at 25,000lbs)

We have only replaced an alternator, a cam position sensor (minor), ball joints :D

FORD BUILT A DAMN GOOD TRUCK THIS TIME

My other friend that travels the country repairing industrial locomotives has over 500,000 (HALF A MILLION MILES) on his Super Duty

DODGE--Cummins is great but my friend spends all of his time repairing the truck around the engine & has only pulled (2) major loads that I know of. He will not even drve it out of state because he is worried something will break on it.

CHEVY / GM-- Well we have owned them & bent the frames END OF STORY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:46 pm 

For once Pete I think I can almost agree with you on something. We have Fords, and Dodges were I work. We HAD Chevys. The oldest in the fleet is a Dodge service van, past her prime but still has some fire in her. It'll still run circles around the Ford E250 van with the 5.4, The Dodge has the 5.2 (318). The F150 we just got rid of was a pretty good truck, some nit picking things went wrong here and there but thats to be expected. The new Dodge trucks we have are great, no problems as of yet. The Chevy truck we just got rid of on the other hand was a basket case, windshield leaked, bad flywheel, leaked everything, numerous electrical problems, the list goes on and on. The big bucket truck ( chevy with a cat engine) and Ford line truck ( with a ford diesel) and the Ford dump ( with a cummins diesel ) are all pretty reliable trucks. The line truck has problems here and there but it sits most of the time so thats to be expected. And Shania, my truck is a 2006. Looks older than that because it's a special edition built by dodge, the Southern Field edition :D

Last edited by Mike A on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:10 pm 

Mike A wrote:
And Shania, my truck is a 2006. Looks older than that because it's a special edition built by dode, the Southern Field edition :D

If I looked like her, I wouldn't bother to even KNOW you guys.
;)

I hate Cummins engines. At least in the big trucks, they're dogs.

~S-h-a-n-a

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

So long that you have a good air filter on the truck to keep the dust out of the intake, keep changing the oil and fluids as small amounts of coal dust will probably get in there, you should be fine. Good oil filter should keep the oil cleaner, but you do want to change the oil enough.

Now in response to the other topics, the Dodge is a no brainer.
168,000 miles on my 96 and it is still running strong. Very happy with the truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:07 pm 

how many engines/trannies you put in there greg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 am 

Hah nice :D