Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tower City
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:37 pm 

I am looking for mining related things to see near tower city. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. I've heard the Lykins breaker is near there along with somethin called the williamstown tunnel??? Any help would be great. Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:17 pm 

the williamstown tunnel is filled in now. im not sure about the breaker, but at the porter tunnel site the 15 ton diesel locomotive is still sitting there on the foundation of the motor barn waiting for a new owner. also, as youre coming down 209, before porter tunnel there is a trail that goes up and to the right. theres a gated mine there with an old stone fan house up on the hill. makes for some good pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:31 pm 

Comin down 209 from tower city? do have gps cords or any other more specific way to find it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:50 pm 

If your going down towards Tower City there are a couple of stops you should make along the way. Just off the Hegins exit of 81 there is the Sherman Breaker, down from that about 2 miles is the Hegins Mining Company breaker. If you stop in there during the week and Earl Keiffer is there he might tell you some good stories. Than over in Good Spring there is the Superior Preperation Company breaker, thats a all wood breaker that looks like it's from the 1880's but was built in the 1940's.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:50 pm 

no, just as youre coming down 209 from 81 towards tower city. just past the intersection to joliet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:20 pm 

I will be driving past that location tomorrow on 209. I will try to gps it as I go past. You could also stop by and see Bill Sedesse 717-453-7613 in Lykens. He would be thrilled to take you through his collection in his garage. Here is a recent news paper article on him.

Bill Sedesse, who has had a coal museum in his garage for at lease fifty (50) years, has given the Chamber a large number of artifacts to begin a museum in the Train Station. We hope to have some displays ready for the 1 7th. We are in the process of cataloging the items and getting them ready for display. It is our hope to change the displays on a regular basis and have set hours for visitors. We can not thank Bill and Anna enough for this generous gift to the residence of Lykens. Our history will continue due to their generosity.

The "Underkoffler Breaker" is gone but 1/4 mile past where it stood on the West side of Lykens is Meadowbrook Coal Breaker. I grew up listening to the backup alarms on Sat and Sundays. Music to my ears!!ha

Another little jem as you go up the mountain on 209 from 81 take the first left and go towards Lincoln. Make the first right and you will be driving through the old Harriman Strippings. Follow that road through the little town and right beside the road is a fairly new deep mine and one right behind it on the hill.

Happy hunting!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:32 pm 

Thank you. If you could get gps cords that would be sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:29 pm 

those 2 deep mines are Little Buck Coal Co. (with the orange slope barrel right next to the road) and B&B Coal back behind it down the dirt road. Theres actually 2 mines at the Little Buck site...can't see the second one from the road though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:18 am 

Just last week after mine safety class I stopped at Lil' Buck to take some photos.Its looks like a nice operation there. I always wondered where B&B was located!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:46 am 

Yeah they're nice guys there at LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:52 pm 

Ok I didnt have my gps with today (in another vehicle) but I did get 0.8 of a mile heading South on 209 after you crest the top of the mountain. As you head down keep an eye out for a curve sign 40 MPH. The road is 150 feet ahead of that on the right. If you continue down 209 2.3 miles from the top you will feel a bump in the road. That is were the Porter Tunnel has settled. You can see tire marks from the lift axles hitting the bump! They made alot of changes to the Porter Tunnel. Not much to see since they sealed it and installed sed basins for the mine acid drainage. If I wasnt obligated to help move my sister inlaw on Sat I would have offered to join you!

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:51 pm 

is there a pulloff or anything where this trail goes up to the mine? im rlly bad at finding these things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:56 pm 

just the trail. its big enough for one car to fit on before the gate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:18 am 

Ok we found the old Kalmia Colliery and mine. We didn't get the trail to the fan house cuse we couldnt get the van to fit into the parking spot. We aslo didnt get the porter tunnel because there are no tresspassing signs everywhere. We did some geocaching and went to the old Brookside Breaker site. At this site there was a wierd looking boiler out in the middle of some strippings, anyone know what this was? At DAyton we did the Big Lick Tunnel and climbed the mountain above it. There were broken concrete ruins with 1915 on them up there along with old stone walls and a ton of waste rock. Was the a colliery up there? Anyone know about the date 1915 up there? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:57 pm 

did you get any pics of any of this?