Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N & W motor car
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:26 am 

well, i've added another piece to the collection. this time its a Fairbanks-Morse Sheffield 40-B motor car (with a Fairmont cab) from the Norfolk and Western RR:

no idea how old it is. it has a opposed, air-cooled, hand cranked, 2 cylinder engine, with exposed pushrods and rockers, and a friction-drive transmission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:28 am 

That is a rare one John. When you get a chance post a few pics up of that friction drive so people know how that works. Thats what makes that car very unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:37 am 

sure thing-its covered with a tarp in my driveway right now (it looks like a giant silver box on my trailer). when it gets a little nicer out, i'll unwrap it and take some more pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:14 am 

sweet does it run john? ya know theres a ton of abandoned line out this way...... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:23 am 

John,

Could you describe the collection? This doesn't look like it's just your garage.

Nice Fire Engine in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 am 

I have heard of people with fairbanks cars push starting them and when the motor starts the car runs away on its own. I have an M-19 Fairmont but it is in many pieces and a tree fell on the cab Definatly not as nice as your fairbanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:57 am 

Isnt there something like this in front of the st nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:52 pm 

Nothing like that in front of St. Nick

Peanut that is a Sheffield car not a Fairbanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm 

Cool! I love it when a railcar is saved. Are you in NARCOA? I'll have to get a pic of my "speeder" up. Mine won't qualify to run in any NARCOA trip, it's only 7 1/2" gauge and still needs it's face plate. It's my mine motor for now . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 pm 

doug-it was being stored in a museum-i didn't look around, we were busy loading before snow started falling.

peanut-i figure push starting was an option. i gotta ask-have you seriously tried push starting something without having someone at the controls?

yeah looks like i'll need narcoa insurance and i'll have to bring my car up to their standards to run it. feels as ridiculous to me as putting a license plate and taking out an insurance policy on an ATV, but i guess you got to do what what you got to do. much thanks goes out to all of those who contributed to the need for regulation!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:53 am 

What is that then in front of the st nick, its right by the bridge (rt 54), Im sure someone else saw it, I think its about 2x as wide as the one pictured above

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 am 

Also there is a guy up in wilkes barre with similar equipment in his yard. Im not to familliar with the specifics of these things, one may have been a mantrip car. if I remember correctly he has 3 different pieces in the back yard. They look like they had a cosmetic restorationdone at some point but were left out in the weather. They are up in Georgetown. My guess is that they may have belonged to the Franklin colliery because they are near there, probally got them arround 1973 or so after Beltrami Enterprises shut it down. If anyone is interested in checking this out pm me and I can take you up there. Georgetown has a few familys that make up the majority of the area for several generations, so alot of people up there are related to each other in one form or another. I know some of them, so I may be able to get some info/history, anyone else familliar with these cars?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am 

I have sucessfully push started a fairmont s-2. but once you hear it pop you gotta jump on. Oh yeah Pete fairbanks / sheffield are the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:45 am 

Brian-I know what you are talking about-if I remember right, it is either a weed sprayer or some sort of track maintenance machine. It stinks like chemicals when you walk by. I probably have a picture of it somewhere.

Pete-get your s*#% together-Fairbanks-Morse manufactured the Sheffield 40-B. Everybody knows that-just like everyone knows the Knox disaster ended mining in the northern field!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 am 

drove by there yesterday, 2 of them look somewhat similar to the car pictured above except there is no platform inside, (possibly removed?) just a set of levers in both, and the other could have been a mantrip car from what it looks like, i diddnt notice a chemical smell or any type of tank for holding chemicals though, hopefully this is different than the one you know about, mabee not.