Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "We've declared a war on work in our society..."
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 pm 

Mike Rowe is nothing short of brilliant, and he should do a lot more speaking engagements:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4 ... r_embedded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 pm 

that was really really good! that guy is a genius, no wonder he makes the big bucks....... :D i have to agree with what he says, whether im working the full time job as an airplane mechanic, working at the coal mine, or after work on an old airplane we are restoring i get dirty every day and cant believe i get paid to do what i love, i couldnt imagine getting stuck behind a desk. got some miserable friends with desk jobs.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:48 pm 

I resemble that last remark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:16 pm 

Chris wrote:
i get dirty every day and cant believe i get paid to do what i love, i couldn't imagine getting stuck behind a desk. got some miserable friends with desk jobs.......

We're touched on this subject before. I love the attitude you and Banks have. I hope that you can maintain it in the long term.

But, there are a lot of guys in those desk jobs that never intended to be there. It sucks you in and traps you. You wake up one day and have 15 or 20 years in a job that was for a couple of years "until I can find something else".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:54 am 

I think that's kind of the point Rowe intended to make with with Dirty Jobs, and his new website, mikeroweworks.com

We don't have the kind of people who value/love what they do anymore, and most of those professions are a necessity. Rowe is big on "infrastructure."
Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure.

:D

~Shana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 am 

In the desk world, it is not that people doing what they do is the problem. Many times it is that the company is so big that the beauracy demands really stupid actions. Anyone with half a mind can see it is nuts.

You spend more time and effort on stupid stuff just to keep the company machine running that it takes away from real work.

Case in point. At my day job, I have been trying to get the paperwork in proper order for a year and a half, to purchase a small amplifier. We have used these exact parts for over 10 years, one company make them. But, because this time we want to purchase a larger quantity the paperwork is more complex and my company purchasing rules prefer that we compete the buy.

Now the fact is, we will purchase about 100 of these, from that company, for about $1500 each. I knew that 18 months ago. But the contract has not passed the first hurtle, because of stupid rules. It is also against the rules to split a buy to avoid contracting rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm 

Paperwork and procedure is silly sometimes. I see that were I'm at. If I need parts for a dragline I call the main office for a p.o.# than go get whatever I need. Now if while at the supply house I remember I need something for the breaker I either;
Have to get a seperate p.o.#
or
Put it on the same p.o.# and get B#$%^ed at.
Now if I need stock items I could get a p.o.# get whatever I need than put the stuff on a shelf. Next week I could put one relay in the breaker and one in the strippings somewhere and I don't have to report it to anybody. Seems silly that one day it really matters where stuff is for than the next it doesn't. But as far as not doing what you love because of money goes my thoughts are just do it. You may have to work a little harder or stick your neck out to get where you want to be but in the end it's well worth it. When I left construction and started in the strippings I took a substantial pay cut but I go home happy. After I settled in to my new job I thought I could make up the difference in pay by doing some work on the side ( in the coal buisness of course!) and you know what? So many opportunities present themselves because I really want to be there. I found a nich and it's working great for me. If a tart like myself could do it anybody can.

"We don't look for any money all we look for is a little help and the only help we get is for the government to shut us down and if you go to the gas station and buy the gas you'll see why..........................you'll see why"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:57 pm 

paperwork.....HA! i wont even get into the world of aviation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:31 pm 

All good points, and a great video, man If I got stuck behind a desk I'd be completely miserable. And paperwork always blows, whatever the job.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:58 am 

that whole thing is the reason i build ships. the only paperwork i see is blueprints and pay stubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:10 am 

nice! in the airplane world believe me we have our share of paperwork, but its not that bad.

now ship building, lets here more about that? what size? im assuming they are big since your not "boat building" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:59 am 

Interesting point. What is the difference between and ship and a boat. I think it is more than size, maybe river vs open ocean. Unless you are on a Aircraft carrier, then the Airedales ( the Air crews and squadron support) still call it a boat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:41 pm 

veteran MT-46 class oil tankers. around 600' long, 80' on the beam, displacing around 12,000 tons empty, 120,000 fully loaded. they're not the big huge super tankers, ours are designed to shuttle crude from rigs in the gulf of mexico that are too far offshore or too deep for a pipeline back to the mainland for refining. next year we're starting a run of 1,050 foot container ships.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:09 pm 

akerphiladelphia.com/

take a look, somewhere on there is a link to webcam up on a light pole that looks into dry dock 4, which is our assembly dock. it updates every fifteen minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:48 am 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Lack-of-s ... 7.html?x=0

Heres the proof again!