Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlight question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:27 pm 

I need a new headlight for spelunking purposes. I've had a Petzl for 5 years now. It's the one with one Xenon bulb and 3 leds. Way back when Chris M had one just like it. It's falling apart. I checked some out today at EMS sports. They had Black Diamond and Petzl.

A true Msha lamp is too pricey for me. So my options are a Coon Hunting Lamp with belt battery or one of the new LED units. The models I looked at were a Black Diamond Icon with 3 ultra bright LEDS and (1) 3 watt LED. 80 Lumens & 80 Meters.

The other was the Petzl Myo XP with one LED supposed to be 85 lumens and good for 97 meters.

The one I have now is the Myo 3 with 3 Leds and (1) Xenon bulb rated at 20 lumens but adjustable focus. I thought it was pretty good along with a 6V Lantern so any of these others should be an upgrade. Unfortunately the Myo XP which looked pretty good was blister packed and not on display to see the output. All the others were on display.

One other thing. It's strange. My Petzl runs on 4AA bats. I used rechargeable NIHMs . All the new ones use only 3 AA Bats. That always leaves you with one odd man out battery. The extra battery would give you a longer life, don't know why they dropped it.

So before I buy I'd like to hear if anyone has experience with any of these lamps and has a reccomendation. Thanks, Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:27 am 

I was leary on getting a wheat lamp, but when i did i couldn't be happier with it. I would save the money and get a wheat lamp, they've been around for like 75 years, so you know they're reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 pm 

What is a Wheat lamp? is it the regular electric miners lamp? Tnx Dave

Forget it, A Google search answered my question, Yes it is. $398.00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:47 pm 

for a brand new one. you can pic up a used one pretty cheap and get a new battery for it for a hundred bucks. youll go through that in batteries in a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:14 am 

Where would I find a used one? And if it doesn't come with it do I buy or make the charger? Thanks, Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:50 am 

E-Bay has them listed all the time. You just need to know there are three models and there have been discussions here about the advantages of each.

Chris is right, assume on E-Bay that the battery is shot. However I played with mine and they are good for about 7 - 8 hours.

Same thing about chargers, Koehler/Wheat Light has made several styles. And some styles don't work with some lamps. Do a bit of research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:25 pm 

http://www.unitedminingequipment.com/files/prod_caplamb.html

I actually had a salesman give me one of these and a charger, 16 hours, super bright, i use it underground every day. The battery size is amazing! We have normal Northern Light G3s that are issued. But man, these little UMEs are the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:50 pm 

Here are a couple of details to consider when looking at Koehler Lights

New style Mark V (Left) or the Old Style Mark II

The Mark V has a smaller headpiece and a transparent red ring.

The major difference is the charging connection.

Mark V has a slide and the the Mark II has a key . The charger has to match the headpiece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:03 pm 

Thanks for the info. I actually went to school for electronics, well it was now almost 30 years ago. But I can probably make my own charger and scrounge around the internet for a battery. I missed an old Edison Lamp on E-bay for $6 but I imagine the bulbs are hard to come by for those. Thanks Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 am 

I understand I've had my charger apart adding a second connection and there is very little to them. But unless you are just looking for a project, Koehler chargers are easy to find on E-Bay and are relatively cheap.