Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glen Alden: When formed?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:16 am 

Hi,

I am helping someone who is researching the infamous Wanamie lokies, via Nick Z. we have uncovered some interesting data on them that contradicts published reports on build dates and serial numbers.

A question has arisen about the Glen Alden company. I know it became huge in 1920 when the Lackawanna and CNJ railroads merged their coal holdings into it. Some documentation points to 1920 being the year the company was founded, while other data shows it be founded much earlier as a holding company controlled by the Lackawanna Railroad. It may only have been a real estate holding company. Many details to figure out.

So, does anyone know if the Glen Alden company existed before 1920?

Thanks!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:02 am 

I was going to suggest the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society. But, it looks like you are all over that angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:46 pm 

Got an answer from the anthraciterr list, looks like The Glen Alden Coal Co was organized Feb 20, 1868.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 am 

so what new info is coming to light on the wanamie lokies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 pm 

Nope Glen Alden corp. wasnt formed untill the Sherman anti trust act made the railroads divest themselves of there anthracit holdings. Ie Delaware & Hudson spun there coal holdings into Hudson coal company. And so did the Delaware Lackawanna and western RR spun there anthracite holdings into the Glen Alden Coal company. As a post script these coal companies were wholly owned subsidaries of the raileoads. BUT the distance between the railroads and the anthracite holdings was enough to satisfy the Sherman anti trust act. Also America had a new president Herbert Hoover. Who was business friendly by time the cases came to court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:21 pm 

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 838A639EDE

G,en Alden was born may 1921. read the article. Copy and paste the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 am 

That article is part of what has created the confusion. Notice it says Glen Alden will "take over" but it doesn't say it was a newly formed company.

It got significantly bigger in 1921, but had been around for decades. Since I first asked the question, I have recieved several answers with info that confirms the pre 1921 start, including equipment orders.

Mark this myth as busted. :-)

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 pm 

https://www.corporations.state.pa.us/co ... esults.asp

This is a web site for Pennsylvania corporations. Sponsored by the state of Pennsylvania. Look up Glen Alden ? June of 1921. Nothing beats good research. Not getting argumentative but..... my original post stands. Glen Alden was a corporation created by the stock holders and board of directors to get around the Sherman anti trust act. That was all. Before that is was the Delaware Lackawanna & Western coal company/railroad. And Glen Alden did not exhist. Hope that web site helps solve the misconceptions. It is a factual web site. If any other facts come to frutation Id be glad to see the research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 pm 

There is also extensive info in Thomas Tabers DL&W RR in the 19th & 20 th century. Also prior to 1921 in all my research through bureau of mines reports and many newspaper articles. There is not a mention of Glen Alden. They were always referred as DL&W in the bureau of mines reports. And DL&W or Lackawanna mines in the newspapers. ( on microfilm at the Scranton public library)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:11 am 

Business boomed throughout the 1800's, but in the early years of the 20th century the Delaware & Hudson's competitive advantages caught the attention of the U.S. Government. This was the era when Teddy Roosevelt and his "trust busters" attempted to put a stop to price-fixing, business monopolies, and other practices that were considered bad for competition. The Hepburn Act of 1906 was the initial shot across the bows of the railroads and coal mining companies. Essentially the Act banned shipments of coal across state lines by railroads if that coal had been produced in railroad-owned mines. Since such shipments were the reason for the Delaware & Hudson's original existence, the Hepburn Act was a serious threat to the company. However, a 1909 Supreme Court decision created a legal loophole whereby a subsidiary -- even if wholly owned by the railroad -- could buy the coal from a railroad-owned mine and still ship it on that railroad. Thus, the Delaware & Hudson Company created the Hudson Coal Company as a subsidiary that became the "owner" of coal from its mines. Of course the Hudson Coal Company shipped its product on the Delaware & Hudson Company's railroad. The porcelain sign shown at upper right illustrates this corporate lineage. The famous "script logo" of the Delaware & Hudson Company is incorporated into the Hudson Coal Company's logo.

Source: http://railroadiana.org/lanterns/pgLanterns_hc.php

The DL& W RR did the same thing as the D&H, " Created" is the key word. Hope this helps with the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:16 am 

Did some digging on google books ( before I got blocked for looking to much) and discovered yes, Glen Alden exhisted before 1921. BUT they were a wholly owned company of the DL&W coal company. They owned no land or coal holdings till after 1921. In other words the company was formed by DL&W prior to 1921. Just in case they lost the supreme court case, and were in violation of the anti trust laws of the time. Just a paper company till that time.