Iron Miners
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boots
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:22 am 

What brand of boots do you guys wear?

I've tried all types over the last 5 years-some I've had some more than once

Rocky Miner Boots-Loved these, got a year out of them, before the metatarsel becamse dislodged and rubbed the top of my foot

Matterhorns-6 months before the entire bottom of the sole fell off halfway through my shift and I had to use a roll of tape to hold it on so I could finish-never again will I buy these, i have no idea why so many people wear them, and most complain about them

Timberland Gravel Pits-8 months before the lining wore off at the heel and the entire inside of the boot came loose and I couldnt get my foot out without tearing the inside out. I was upset about this, I only paid 125 for them out of the company boot truck, and they were very comfortable.

Ironage- I bought these at a thrift store that must of bought out a ton of their boots when they closed down ironage-these were my favorite boots about a year out of them before they started leaking, I still wear these around the house when I'm working in the garage. I wish they were still made

Last week I bought a pair of 12" Georgia Boots. I freaking love these! I thought I would hate the extra height, since i usually only buy 9" boots. First shift I wore them we had to place a 45HP Sump pump in a flooded area where they are drilling a new air shaft. Awhile preparing to place the pumps(running cables, and setting control boxes) the water was about an inch from going over the top, my feet were dry all day. I switched to a pair of rubber boots without socks when we drug the pump out into chest deep water. Went back to the power center, dried my feet and put my Georgias back on and boom dry feet again, even though the rest of my was soaked, something about dry feet makes that bearable. Best part is on the way into the section the guy I was with was tearing me about having such tall boots. We went through the man door and it was over top his 8" boots instantly. I laughed all day about that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:40 am 

one of the old timer section mechanics from our other mine has been selling georga boots for 15 yrs. and swears by them... he recently bought an old rundown store ffront in downtown caryville and started a boot store for the public, so i figured i would do my part to help everett stay in business and i bought a pair of the 12", he told me my feet would STAY dry, and he was right, just like you said. ive had them for about 10 monthe now and they are showing some signs of getting worn, but still comfortable. i was gonna try the matterhorns when i got these, now im glad i didnt! especially since i got my georgas for $115.00!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:02 pm 

I am on my second pair of John Deere's , I wore the first pair for 10 months before the sole fell completely off. The company buys 1 pair of leathers every year(Matterhorns). They finally came in about 2 weeks after I had to buy a new pair, but they are still in the box ,I think I am going to save them for a spare pair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:55 am 

I like the georgia boots better than any I have wore. The last pair I had lasted 2 years bolting top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:23 am 

service rubber steel toe muck boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:29 am 

That is Sooo Anthracite.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 am 

hey but there the best boots ive ever owned till this day, light weight, waterproof, and friggin comfy :) cant complain with any of that....and for $30 yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 am 

I'm not arguing with the point of utility. I just find it amusing. Reminds me of some of the small / older farmers in this area.

On the other hand, I like my matterhorns. But I paid a whole lot more than $30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:48 pm 

I imagine the shipyard eats boots about as fast as mining does. My redwing steel toe loggers are almost two years old and still eating gunpowder and shitting bullets. Had 'em re-soled and heeled about 3 months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:09 pm 

service rubber steel toe muck boots also...

I have a pair of matterhorns, but I actually don't wear them inside that much other than tour mine work... The service muckers are more comfy!! and so light!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:42 pm 

SO light and SO comfy..... dude we just said comfy...... just like bella and his comfy cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 pm 

Yeah, Bella, why do you call it a comFY cap!!? SO gay.

Post subject: Re: Boots
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:39 pm 

[quote=
Ironage- I bought these at a thrift store that must of bought out a ton of their boots when they closed down ironage-these were my favorite boots about a year out of them before they started leaking, I still wear these around the house when I'm working in the garage. I wish they were still made[/quote]

Is this a different company with the same name or is it a certain model they don't make anymore?

http://www.ironageworkboots.com/