It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading Anthracite Excavator Destroyed by Vandal
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:24 am 

Reading Anthracite Excavator Destroyed by Vandal

BY DUSTIN PANGONIS
POTTSVILLE REPUBLICAN & HERALD
March 3, 2010

BUCK RUN - A half-million dollar excavator was destroyed over the weekend when someone drove it off a 100-foot embankment, according to Reading Anthracite General Manager Frank Derrick.

"The person must have had a key to start it up, and knew what he was doing and be able to travel with the machine," Derrick said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

Derrick said state police at Frackville are investigating the incident, which occurred sometime between late Saturday afternoon and Monday morning at a company mine site.

The company deals with vandalism such as broken windows and entry of machines, Derrick said, but he cannot recall such a serious incident.

"From the looks of it, it's destroyed," Derrick said. "When it went over the bank, I'm not sure if it rolled over, but it is sitting on the roof."

The excavator, a Caterpillar model 345 with a backhoe configuration, was still sitting on its roof Tuesday at the bottom of the embankment, where it will remain until the investigation is complete, Derrick said.

Reading Anthracite is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, Derrick said.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=10145

http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:39 am 

And in other news.......

A spokesman for Reading Anthracite said that anyone even thinking of going near Reading Property will be arrested on sight. "Our security force is embarassed by this incident and will step up enforcement to insure these type of situations do not continue."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 am 

i guess this would be why my letter to them about photographing the old st nick has not been returned. guess i wont be going there now.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:07 pm 

Doug wrote:
And in other news.......

A spokesman for Reading Anthracite said that anyone even thinking of going near Reading Property will be arrested on sight. "Our security force is embarassed by this incident and will step up enforcement to insure these type of situations do not continue."

What security...? They never had any; if they did, all the times I've been there I've never ran into anyone. Their one DEMAG had its window smashed about 8 times before. I doubt they'll catch anyone, but what they will do is kick off all the innocent people who are on their property just taking pictures or riding. One person can ruin it all for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:13 pm 

Everyone does know that I'm somewhat joking on that quote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:45 pm 

Another trespassing topic. As I said in another post, we let the 4 wheelers and such go. But the ones who enter sensitive, marked, and fenced areas are prosecuted very seriously. In this game, you want to have a reputation for arresting even the seemingly innocent so word gets out and those who do things like this are lerss likely. It'll still happen, but not as much as if your property was a free-for-all.

Thrill seekers or those intent on revenge on the company, as this appears it may be, will get in anyway. Some like the chase and risk, too. Others, like most of us here, know it's simply not worth the risk to see an old hole and some rocks.