Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marvine mystery solved ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm 

I was reading through google books once again. And in the process may have found out who the Marvine breaker was named for ? I have poured through records of the Hudson coal company looking for any mamagers, board of director's or other major officials for anyone named Marvine. Even looking up geneology of the important Hudson coal company managers. All to no avail. But around the time of the Marvines construction there was a renowned geologist alive at the time. Quite famous traveling the country with his theories and finds. Any coincidence ? And it would make sense. Although Lorree was president at the time of its construction. Everyone knew the Marvine was to be the template for the real pride of the Hudson coal company- The Loree. Which was a tiny bit larger and advanced than the Marvine. Constructed a year after the Marvines construction. But both breakers were so close in construction, capacity, and size that they were known as sister breakers. Although fortunately the Lorree did not lose the main conveyer in a collapse as the Marvine did. Although Gravity;s conveyer collapsed just as the Marvines did some 20 + years earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 pm 

Nice work Tony, man you really some determination and a lot of patience to find this stuff!!

btw, wern't there a couple guys killed when the marvine conveyor collapsed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm 

wow nice digging tony....... and this time not in the dirt :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm 

Dedication is what happens when you get old lol Thanks Banks & Chris Tuesday February 19,1963 the conveyer collapsed. One died ( John Mishko of Dickson City)seven were injured. The double line conveyer weighed in at 100 tons, and was 150 feet above the ground. The cost to replace the conveyer in 1960 dollars was estimated at $500,000.00 !!!! One amazing aspect is that one worker was actually inside the conveyer when it collapsed !!! At the time of the collapse 108 men worked at the breaker, It had a capacity of 700 tons per hour and was processing anthracite from Carbondale at a rate of 400 tons per hour. Anthracite processing was transferred to the Northwest breaker in Eynon( under a special agreement), the Lorree in Larksville and the Huber in Ashley. At the time 125 independent dealers delivered coal to homes throughout the Lackawanna valley from coal supplied from the Marvine. The breaker never reopened. Only the silos were used to supply the dealers after the collapse. And after the sale to Bel Trami enterprises bagging of silt was carried out till 1976. In a seperate building. Demolition of the breaker began shortly before Bel Tramis bankruptcy at which time it was halted, and the breaker stood half torn down ( see pics on the site) Final demolition was not completed untill the late 80's (?) Today all that remains of the breaker itself is the concrete pad that was in front of it. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm 

Tony,
Nice research on that one!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 pm 

http://undergroundminers.com/jimpics.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 am 

I think those are some of my favorite pics on the site, Not to many people had the insight to take photos like them at that time. Just sad subject matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:33 pm 

miner490 wrote:
Final demolition was not completed untill the late 80's (?) Today all that remains of the breaker itself is the concrete pad that was in front of it. :cry:

Tony, it made it to the 90's. the video the cousin and I took is dated 1991 and it and most of the surrounding buildings are still in place. I feel around 1994 or 1995, it and the other buildings were demolished. Also, the only concrete pad still there today is the pad from the service garage not the breaker. One of the two wash basins was also still there until 2004, maybe 2005. Why I don't write this stuff down I'll never know! The Lokie bridge and conveyor bridge across the Lackawanna are still there but I feel will be gone this year or next. When Gibbons Toyota was finished being built, the opposed side of the Lokie bridge was dug out to keep ATV from crossing it. As I side note, In 2002, I took my Suzuki Samurai across the bridge just to do it. I was nervous, my K'Zuki weighted only 2100 lbs but we are talking about an un-maintained 75 year old bridge.
The Lokie bridge that crossed Boulevard Ave was taken down in 1985.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:20 pm 

Good info. wasnt sure of the exact dates. I know HAER ( library of congress) did a study on the site around the ime the recycling center was being built. ( mandated) The pad for the breaker is still there though. Just have to look hard. I just wish I could take photographs from my memory. My grandfater worked for Bel Trami. Living so close ( Dickson city) he was the unofficial watchman. Full set of keys to the place. The breaker was still standing then ( early 70's) and I vaguly remember going to the top of it. Also the silos were still used for retail sales at that time. And the scale house was still used. Every saturday we used to bring coffees to the scalemaster. Sit around the coal stove. Horgan did a pic of the interior of the scale house. Probably shortly after it was opened. I remember it looking exactly like it did in the pic probably 50 years after the photo was taken. I still remember how warm it was close to the stove. But thanks for the info. Soon ( on my list) is an article for the site. As soon as Chris gets me off my behind LOL. :D When the snow melts Ill maybe take a run down and get a pic of the pad, and put up a copy of the print I have for the site to corelate with. And dont worry about the lokie bridges. The one with the raill embeded inside ( not the conveyer bridge) is pretty safe. There are railroad bridges older than them still in service with little or no maintaince. Built to last. Not like the crap they build today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:38 pm 

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... mmem_HngZ::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:57 pm 

where did the lokie bridge go? presumably to the mines? same for conveyor bridge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 am 

There were two bridges side by side. One bridge had a conveyer line ( newer bridge) the other was for the cars to go across. Thebridges were used to transport anthracite from the number one shaft on the west side of the Lackawanna river to the number 2 breaker on the east side of the river. They spanned the Delaware & Hudson's Penn division tracks and the Lackawanna river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 pm 

So Tony, you mentioned the guy killed in the conveyor collapse was John Mishko...

One of my brothers best friends is his grandson! I know Dennis and Jill Mishko....both are grandchildren of John. Pretty wild!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 pm 

wow, small world.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm 

Yeh it is a small world !!! WOW