Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long walling anthracite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:57 pm 

I know there was a post about this subject somewhere. But couldnt find it. So if it seems a duplication Im sorry. Just uncovered a little more info. And a little more technical :
MINING MACHINES IN ANTHRACITE COLLIERIES.
In 1911 the D., L. & W. began using coal-cutting machines in an experimental way at its Bellevue colliery, near Scranton. All previous experiments had caused anthracite mining men to be rather skeptical as to the possibilities of coal-cutting machines in hard coal mines, but this particular experiment was successful from the outset. Operating in the No. 1 Dunmore seam, a troublesome proposition, where hand mining had proved unprofitable, the machine work changed results to yield a fair return. Natural conditions made machine work very difficult in this seam, and the fact that it made good in this particular case prompted further use of the coal cutter.
At the Storrs and Sloan mines a conveyor is used back of the machines to convey the coal to cars on the gangway road, and this is an advantage where space is restricted so as to make shoveling a difficult and tedious operation.
Altogether there were in 1913 26 machines in operation in D., L. & W. mines, four leading companies being represented among the manufacturers who have supplied equipment. What they have accomplished is well shown by results at the Dodge mine, where machines are operating in a 30-inch seam on the long-wall method of mining. Here one coal cutting machine with a conveyor produces about 110 tons a day, employing 24 men as follows: Two miners, two miners' helpers, 12 loaders, four timbermen and conveyor men, one conveyor engineer, one topper, one machine runner, and one machine runner helper.
Although this is an arrangement entirely new in anthracite mining, it is considered entirely successful and it is believed that the results justify the company in adopting similar practice in all thin seams where there are no overlying beds of coal. Heretofore it has not been thought feasible to mine a 30-inch seam of anthracite, but following the successful results at the Dodge mine a machine with conveyor attachment will be put in service at the Hyde Park, one at Sloan and several at Storrs.
It is not the policy of the D., L. & W. to install coal-cutting machines in seams that are now being mined profitably by hand, but it is recognized that machine mining must be brought into play if the thin seams are to be availed of, and naturally, with the increasing pressure on coal-producing facilities,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 pm 

Nice work Tony :) Where do you get all this information? You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Scranton basin of the Northern Field. Keep em coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:39 pm 

More of a book worm anymore lol. Thanks though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 pm 

yea when going through coal brook colliery maps in carbondale i found hudson experimented with longwalling a vein. funny though, it was in one of the middle seams. to me, id do it either in the deepest, or shallowest. i know we've discussed this before tony just not sure where, good info as usual!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:19 am 

Wouldn't you pick the best, most valuable vein. I would think that longwalling would render the other veins unmineable.