Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:31 pm 

well saturday is getting close and ugm cant wait to get the motor back running on rails. its been in the shop for about 2 and a half years! so its going to be good to get it out and running before sending it back to the shop for the winter. we will post a few pics and maybe a video sat night when its back, however we cant give away our track bed layout until after the laborday party! regardless its going to be a ton of fun getting our rail equipment up and moving, and with the addition of another coal car this saturday also its going to be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:31 am 

Well after a long night of work she is done ladies and gentlemen. volt/amp meter installed, motor covered up, battery box installed, wiring all completed and tied up. changed the oil in the gear boxes again, bolted down the battery box, finnished battery hold down harness, and test ran one last time in the shop. meters work perfectly and everything seems great! she will be on rail tomorrow!

check the videos section!

Restoration Crew

Last edited by Chris on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Looking great! Can't wait to see picture of the loco on rail! Good job guys!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:17 pm 

Well guys sorry we didnt have a status report yet however we have been very busy running out newly restored mine motor around the yard! have lots of pics and videos to post however like i said before we cant post them till after our labor day party, as we dont want to give away the rail layout! enjoy.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Looking good. Great to see her sitting on rails. How did she run on her first trip out?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:17 pm 

oh man it was great, to get it running after being in the shop for 2 and a half years! its first trip down the rails was fantastic. the next 20 or so were even better :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:48 pm 

well, next weekend the mine motor is going back to its heated shop for the winter stay. have a few things i want to do now after running it for a few months. eventually we need to get real batteries. these work ok for one day of usage but then need to be charged. they dont have the amperage that forklift or industrial batteries have. well anyways, it will be out of the weather for the winter and ready to roll next year for the entire summer. we will need it as we have a few more hundred feet of rail to pick up, bring home and relay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:26 pm 

ok guys, she is going back to the shop tomorrow. getting cold out and it was complaining it wants to get back in the warm shop :lol: anyways, we are going to put in a new floor as the one thats in it is rotting out and has 3 holes in it. we are also going to remove the counter weight for now and going to install a bell. we are also talking about adding another bank of batteries to give us more amps so we can have a longer run time. that is until amr makes enough money to get real batteries for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:57 am 

well it didnt make it to the shop today as we have been getting snow all day. we canceled the roll back as it probably would have sank in my dads yard. so we will hope for next sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:14 pm 

well it looks like the motor is going to be stuck at the house under a tarp for the winter. now that the snow is here i think ill just take the batteries out for the winter and take them to the climate controlled shop. i guess we could use the room in the shop to build another mine car as we have a few to do. we will see, if we get a week when there is no snow on the ground and the ground is frozen so the roll back doesnt sink in the yard maybe we can drag it back to the shop. but not taking any chances and taking the batteries out. gonna try to do that this week. have a few things to do to it yet but nothing we cant do outside next spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:18 pm 

also, i have been in contact with deka batteries, who is getting us a quote for building batteries for our motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:08 am 

got the batteries out the other night and did a little playing in the snow. good thing we got them out as they were getting pretty low. it took all it had to plow its way through the snow to the end of the track. if we get it back to the shop the first thing is to fix one of the sand boxes so all 4 are operational. we dont have them filled with sand yet for winter running on slippery rails! if we dont get it back to the shop, then we will give them some attention next spring working on it outside.

check the videos section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:15 pm 

well while waiting for the parts for the ugm coal car, we happened on a bunch of old brand new resistor grids in a mine. they are exactly the same as our motor has. i really wanted to rebuild ours if only to make it look better. well i didnt want to tear it apart for sake of breaking the rusted fragile resistor grids. now i built a brand new resistor for it. got it on today, picked up the batteries put it in and it works great! must have blasted back and forth 15 times then had my dad give it a try. gotta keep up good relations so we can keep laying rail in the yard :D so, now the entire electrical system has been restored. by the time i got it on and the batteries in it was dark. we are going over monday to take the batteries out and take them back to the shop so ill get some good pics in the daylight then. while it was sitting on my tool box at work i said today, man this thing looks good, hope it actually works! well it works perfectly....... and why shouldnt it its a ugm product :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 pm 

rebuilt resistor bank:

as found and removed from the mine

cleaned up, bead blasted, hi temp painted and beginning assembly with new fiberglass insulation.

didnt know these were out of focus until just now, oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:45 am 

Well it looks GREAT !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next