Iron Miners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: IT LIVES!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 pm 

There is a reason that crude diesels replaced well-engineered steam. It is a novelity, and a few rich boys with play with it, spend some grant money, maybe built a prototype. It won't make a dent in the locomotive population.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:48 pm 
still......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 pm 

sounds like an al gore project to me. im not impressed..............

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm 
Just some steam lovers looking for a way to make steamers better for the environment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:44 pm 
I didn't realize that there would be so much hatin' going on when I posted this. I'm sorry that I did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm 

Don't take it personal. You are young and idealistic. And it's not hate speech.

I like Steam, it is the technology that made the Industrial Revolution possible and it is a lot of romantic things. But it is old and outdated; and there is no amount of magic that is going to bring it back.

I mentioned Ross Rowland, I hope you took the time to Google him. He spend a ton of money in the late 70's trying to build a "modern" steam engine, I don't think it got off the drawing board.

Have fun, enjoy the history, take a fan trip, maybe get a cab tour or if you are really really lucky, get to work on an engine.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no Santa Clause, Easter Bunny and Steam isn't going to make a major comeback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 pm 

woah, woah, woah, doug. hold it right there, dont anybody move. whats all this talk about no easter bunny! :?: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm 
I Agree with Chris! Have you even read my signature? It is take from that old saying "Save your Confederate money, the South shall rise again!" I have been south, and it HAS risen, but not in the way that they meant. Steam is not dead. It can be found at work all over the world, some doing what they were built to do, haul freight for a living, day in and day out, but most hauling passengers who want to experience what it was like to travel in a simpler time. The rails, and steam, shall never die! There is a certain romance to steam locomotives and rail travel. It can be found in the hissing of steam, the beating of air pumps, the hum of steel wheels against steel rails, and the lonesome sound of a whistle/horn echoing into the night. It was a way of travel that will never truly die. Amtrak is, in a way, not all that different to what it was like 50 years ago. (These are my words, BTW)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:01 pm 

you misunderstood, i agree with doug on all counts except the easter bunny. ill be expecting a visit in a few weeks mr rabbit!

steam engines are cool for museums and excursions but it is in no way economical to use them in the modern world. strausburg rr is using them on their freight runs for nostalgia and thats about it.

and before you go calling me a steam hater, thou shal be known that im checked out and ran on several occasions the vulcan 0-4-0T at pioneer tunnel coal mine..........

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 pm 
I wasn't calling you a steam hater.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 am 
Has anyone else heard that there are plans to restore the Madame Queen to operation? I heard about it a while ago, but can't remember where. I think it would be cool, but it would be a logistical nightmare.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 am 
The ranks of operating Garratt locomotives has increased in number! The Welsh Highland Railway has completed restoration of an Ex-South African Railways NGG16 Class Bayer-Garratt. It is a 2-6-2+2-6-2. The restoration was completed last year around November. It can be seen operating almost daily. Purchased in 2009 from Exmoor Steam Railway by pop music producer and rail enthusiast Pete Waterman for use on the WHR. It was overhauled at Waterman's LNWR heritage works by apprentices as part of their studies. I also read of a proposal for a shay-garratt for hump work, and I heard that ALCO had plans for a MASSIVE 4-8-8-4+4-8-8-4, but no one was interested. I am currently awaiting confirmation of the above claims, so I will update when I hear more. There is also a Garratt in Texas, of all places. It is privately owned, and it is a 2-foot gauge. When this guy wanted live steam, he got the real thing. I wonder what his wife thinks?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 am 
Anyone know if the South African Class 26 4-8-4 aka "the Red Devil" is still around? The last time I heard, it was slated for scrap.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am 
Friends of the 261 has recently completed the overhaul on Milwaukee Road 261! It is hitting the high iron soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 am 
It's official that Union Pacific has made an agreement with Southern California Chapter - Railway & Locomotive Historical Society to transfer ownership of Big Boy No. 4014: http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml. One thing bothers me-How are going to make the No. 4014 burn oil even after No. 4005 failed the oil burning experiment. I'll bet they'll (Union Pacific) figured out what to do.

A BIG BOY WILL BE HITTING THE ROAD IN A FEW YEARS!!!!!!

Can anyone say "Tripleheader"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next