Iron Miners
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Local streetcar lines
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am 

Is anyone else interested in the local streetcar and interurban lines? I am always interested in buying/trading pictures, negatives, slides, tickets, passes, timetables, etc. The pics dont have to be original. Eventually when I have more time and my collection of pics and other artifacts gets larger I may set up a web site devoted to this, right now though I just collect these things for personal use and enjoyment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Are you talking about just street car race pictures or are you talking about something else?

Miner Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:33 am 

i think he is referring to a trolley........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:29 am 

I mean trolley lines like laurel line, wilkes barre street railway co, scranton traction co, etc. Sorry about the confusion, thats my fault, I know ive been guilty of talking about cars in the chat. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:52 pm 

I am interested in street cars as well. I belong to the Rockhill trolley museum, although I didn't have the time to get down there and help out this year. In the collection, they have a sweeper (#107) from Scranton. You can check out their site, they have a picture.

If I am not mistaken, that very same sweeper (used for snow removal) is in a photo on the wall if you look around enough in the Lackawana Station. It's down a hallway that I think goes outside to the platform, which is now a parking area. Been over a year since I've seen it, so sorry if I'm wrong on that.

Anyhow, my great grandfather was a conductor in Plains. I'll have to ask my dad which line. We've been looking at every picture we can find to see if we can find him in one of them. Beyond that I don't have much else in the way of tokens, schedules or anything. But if I can find out more about him and the line, and if anyone in the family has any remnants of those days (pretty sure they'd have surfaced by now, though) I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:13 pm 

I think we have pictures some where. Our east coast is not that organized. If I bump into them this winter I will keep you in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 am 

thats definately cool, you know I have some badges from the wilkes barre rwy co, if thats the line heworked for wouldnt that be interesting if one of my badges belonged to him, hey stranger things have happened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:21 pm 

Ya, that would be sweet. It'll prove difficult to get a badge number or any more info on him since all the people from that era are gone. I'll call dad later and see what he knows. I think I remember a Mulbury Street but that might be from something else. I remember looking at a picture of a 4 wheel car with crews standing on it, I think it said "Plains Mulbury Street" on the side.

What ever it said, dad told me that was the exact route he had, but did not know if anyone in the picture was him. No names were given, and the group was much younger at the time of the photo than when my dad knew him. Much like we wouldn't recognize our grandfater in a picture taken when he was in his 30s. Especially in a different outfit like a conductor's uniform and hat.

I'll get back to you on here later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:42 pm 

Brian,

All we have is that it in fact was the Wilkes-Barre Plains line, and Mulbury Street had nothing to do with it. It was my dad's great grandfather, not mine. His name was Frank Rosencrant or Rosengrant, of German-Dutch desent ,both variations were in the family. My last name is not either version, nor anything close. It's Italian so Frank was from my grandmonther's side. He died in 1918 of Spanish Flu. The era of his employment was early 1900s.

Beyond that, the rest is lost to the ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:11 am 

I am especially interested in the Northern Electric which ran northwest out of Scranton to Montrose. Much of the ROW and some buildings are still left.

This cool little interurban had motors custom built for gravel service and for milk service. They apparently also hauled coal out of an operation near Liggett's Gap.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:15 am 

I dont know much about that one, was it part of the Scranton/Binghamton electric rr?